Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of purchasing a 2020 Highlander after waiting for Subaru to deal with Ascent issues. Not sure as to which - The V6 or the Hybrid. For me it would most likely be an XLE. I'm curious as to how satisfied you are? How is the ride, comfort, refinement etc. What you really like or appreciate and what you don't? And if you are having any quality issues thus far. Thank you! Oh, please tell me how many miles you have on your Highlander as well :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bought a 2017 RX350 F sport instead after test driving both 2020 platinum HL. Lexus still diff in quality. 25k miles CPO 37k OTD with TTL. Ultra white with Rioja Red seats and Mark Levinson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bought a 2017 RX350 F sport instead after test driving both 2020 platinum HL. Lexus still diff in quality. 25k miles CPO 37k OTD with TTL. Ultra white with Rioja Red seats and Mark Levinson

Lexus has crappy infotainment and no TSS 2.0 enough for me to not consider it

As for Highlander it's the only great choice today that I am confident will last me for decade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the hybrid limited 2020. It is awesome. I too wanted to get and xle, fed only but the pandemic stopped production and my personal situation meant I needed to but one ASAP. My local dealership had a red/black limited. And I drove it and loved it.

Things worth the extra money.

JBL speakers
QI wireless charger
Leather interior
Sunroof
120v 1500 watt inverter X2

I also got AWD and captains chairs which are great.

If you can afford it, then drive a limited and see what you think!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ahh, I did have one issue so far that was a simple fix. The nuts on the hinges on my driver and passenger front doors were a little loose and causing a creaking noise when shutting. Simply tightened them up and I’m good to go now.

·
Metal Maniac
130 Posts
Haven't driven our 2020 High Hybrid Limited much since we bought it last week.

Glad we didn't go with a platinum. My wife didn't care for any of the extra fancy stuff and wanted a bench seat. We scored a Red/Black interior with bench. Wanted Blue/Black, but none are anywhere near us on ground and dealers didn't want to dealer trade.

Glad with the choice. So far, Carplay on the giant screen is amazing. Wife loves the 360 camera on it. My fat legs are a little iffy on the driver seat, but that may flatten out over time. Plus my wife drive it 85% of the time anyways, so whatever.

Miss the popup glass on the back, but oh well. Sacrificed for Apple Carplay, LED headlights and individual TPMS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Overall satisfied but when Lexus comes out with a comparably sized 3 row crossover minus their current corporate grille and minus the trackpad infotainment interface I will probably upgrade back into a luxury brand. Done with Euros, don’t like babysitting the family hauler.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
56 Posts
Toyota have engineered this for tiny phones. I have 6" phone which isn't even large by today's standards and with case it does not fit this. Even rav4 has good size and better location.
Totally agreed. It couldn't fit the iPhone 8 plus with case on. But that's OK. If I were using it, I would forget to take the phone with me all the time. It's not a good place to hide the phone away like that. Beside, I rather plus in to use Android Auto or Apple Car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do wish it wasn’t in the arm rest. I have an iPhone XR and fits just right in it. But, to use CarPlay, I have a cable running to it.... seems like the USB port should have also been put in the armrest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some day i will rip this wireless charger. Its one thing it doesnt fit phone but its always in the way when reaching in

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Some day i will rip this wireless charger. Its one thing it doesnt fit phone but its always in the way when reaching in
If you really do, please share the details.

It looks like Toyota made it incredibly difficult to totally remove it. Although a few screws are visible, removing them doesn't get you to the point where the whole charger unit is removed. According to the service manual, you need to tear apart the entire center console to do it, which would imply that there is some kind of fastener that's out of sight between the the console box inner liner and the outer cover.

I've hated the location of the Qi charger since the moment I saw it. Truthfully, I now use the center console storage a lot less than I did with my 2016 Highlander. I really like the 2020 in general and I'm glad I updated, but the Qi charger is just horrible. It's totally useless (my phone doesn't fit either) and in the way.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
965 Posts
If you really do, please share the details.

It looks like Toyota made it incredibly difficult to totally remove it. Although a few screws are visible, removing them doesn't get you to the point where the whole charger unit is removed. According to the service manual, you need to tear apart the entire center console to do it, which would imply that there is some kind of fastener that's out of sight between the the console box inner liner and the outer cover.

I've hated the location of the Qi charger since the moment I saw it. Truthfully, I now use the center console storage a lot less than I did with my 2016 Highlander. I really like the 2020 in general and I'm glad I updated, but the Qi charger is just horrible. It's totally useless (my phone doesn't fit either) and in the way.
You guys are thinking about this the wrong way.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toyota have engineered this for tiny phones. I have 6" phone which isn't even large by today's standards and with case it does not fit this. Even rav4 has good size and better location.
And if the phone fit, does it fall off when you lift the arm arm rest to access the lower compartment?

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
239 Posts
Opinions are like and everybody has one!

So the OP wants to know if we are satisfied with our new Gen 4 Highlanders.

Short answer is YES. But the devil of pros and cons lay in the details. I have a little over 1000 miles in 3 months now.

So ya the Qi charger is a love hate thing. BUTT, I consider it only a really minor thing. A nit. I am only mildly annoyed with it, but it stays. THE WORST is the non wireless Car Play which the the real reason you would want a wireless charger. That plug in the cable truly sucks. They have it in the Supra, why not in the Platinum Highlander???? I am close to getting an adapter to do wireless with. Plugging that cable in and managing it constantly is just crap. Not to forget just how truly brain dead the Car Play is. Can not pull up any other apps. What is up with that? Can not ask it where my wife is, too? Can not tell me where anybody is while I am driving. WTF? Plus they (Apple) locked it down so the usual hacks don't apply anymore. UGH. Again only half a solution....

The ventilation in seats is pathetic. No AC routed through it. A real let down....

I am still sort of up in the air about the rear seating. I wanted the bench, but the captains are OK, too especially if you put something in the back. You have a path in the middle. (The cup holder is not so good. Wish it would fold like the Gen 3? or collapse or something.....) Folding the rear seats down does not help much to access the rear. Face it, the rear is tight. This is mid sized not full sized (BTW my car fits with only inches to spare in the garage and complains a lot while parking too. It is tight.)

Quality. My car is about number 5000. There are bad clips holding weather strips on. My brown dash parts are discoloring (and I have NEVER washed it or touched those areas yet and my car usually sleeps in the garage.) My car had an issue with front tires. The finish is so so. It is dry in the jambs. I see sanding marks under the paint in lots of places. There are a few runs in the clear here and there. Not what I expected. I hear a few rattles from time to time.

The chassis IS stiff. It is an OK ride. It does not take speed bumps well. I am not convinced the 20 inch steam rollers are the optimal choice for the class of car.

Some people note the lack of opening rear gate glass. To me there is nothing to miss, BUT it would be nice if the rear quarter windows would pop open which would really help air flow......

BTW I am getting a little over 25mpg around town. This is a FWD gas car.

I just got a recall in the mail.....

Only time will tell how well all the new mechanical parts will hold up.

So ya, I am OK satisfied with it. I was looking for Toyota perfection which it gets close to, and compared to other horror stories, we here only hit on the minor inconsequential stuff for the most part. No show stoppers.

It is all good as is said.

Go rent one from a dealer for a week.......

Have fun!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm thinking of purchasing a 2020 Highlander after waiting for Subaru to deal with Ascent issues. Not sure as to which - The V6 or the Hybrid. For me it would most likely be an XLE. I'm curious as to how satisfied you are? How is the ride, comfort, refinement etc. What you really like or appreciate and what you don't? And if you are having any quality issues thus far. Thank you! Oh, please tell me how many miles you have on your Highlander as well :)
What Ascent issues?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
What Ascent issues?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Go over to the Ascent forum. Lots of issues. We own one and can't wait to get rid of it. The CVT is awful. Cabin noise is intrusive especially on rough road surfaces. Bumps cause cabin to vibrate and our biggest complaint is the front seats are uncomfortable for a long trip. There have been at least 5 recalls. There is a well reported issue w the battery dying if the rear hatch is left open. Subaru knows it and has not developed a fix. Owners that purchased this vehicle for outdoor activities as Subaru marketing promotes found out the hard way. People that camp or do dog competitions have found batteries dead after leaving hatch open. Some dealers are telling customers do not leave it open longer than 15 - 30 minutes. There are videos on youtube of people show owners how to trick the system/rear latch to think the hatch is closed. Consumer reports had it at the top of their list for 3rd row midsize. It quickly has dropped down. The best review online for the Ascent is Edmunds. After owning this one their review is very accurate. It sells because there are big discounts and low interest rates. We own an Outback also which we really like so that is why we went back for the Ascent. Big mistake. Ours is 15 months old and looking to replace it. I will give praise and say that their driving assist technology is very good.

Highlander is high on our list but have concerns w its 3rd row space which we do use on a rare occasion. I am also looking at and test drove a fully loaded Durango Citadel the other day. I have to say I was impressed with the ride, handling, and power for a V6 in a heavy car. The predicted reliability on the 2020 has also improved. A lot quieter and much more comfortable than the Ascent. Its interior is dated and for 2021 there is front and interior redesign that will be revealed in the next few months.

Maybe its only in Subaru but the driving assist technology in the Durango seems like a waste of money because it is not standard. If you move out of the lane on the Durango it is a small light on the instrument cluster changes color so unless you are looking down you are not aware of the warning. On the Ascent there are yellow lights projected onto the driver's side lower windshield that flash, it also beeps, and there is a diagram that flashes on the instrument cluster. For Dodge the technology is an extra cost not standard. Being so small on the dash makes you wonder if its worth it if you never notice it is working.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts