Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is nitrous oxide for your car? I mean, not that I'm thinking of getting it, but it could be a future possibility, cause it's cheaper than a supercharger/turbo. Also, is there a big difference between direct and dry injection?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
How bad is nitrous oxide for your car? I mean, not that I'm thinking of getting it, but it could be a future possibility, cause it's cheaper than a supercharger/turbo. Also, is there a big difference between direct and dry injection?
If the car is prepped to use it, its not any worse than a turbocharger. However, gas prices arent that wallet friendly, so if you're thinking of boosting, I'd say turbocharge, on a long run its cheaper. 10pound bottle isnt big, and you can use it all in one evening.
Direct injection = each runner has a nozzle with gas and fuel going in
Dry injection = only gas injected through nozzle
Wet injection = gas and fuel injected though nozzle

Wet injection is the most reliable and cost effective method and the least risky method of n2o delivery.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So what do you mean by the car being prepped to use it. I plan on having my car for another 6 years probably, and I don't want it to break in 3. I don't really race often, and that's why I won't be needing boost all the time, like from a turbo or supercharger.

So all I'm saying... is it a good and safe investment for a car with a 1.8L 4-banger?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
is it a good and safe investment for a car with a 1.8L 4-banger?
I'd have to say no, its not. It will increase strain on the engine. Nitrous prepped engines are build the same way as turbo-/supercharged engines are, low compression and strengthened internals.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
Flashmn said:
If the car is prepped to use it, its not any worse than a turbocharger. However, gas prices arent that wallet friendly, so if you're thinking of boosting, I'd say turbocharge, on a long run its cheaper. 10pound bottle isnt big, and you can use it all in one evening.
Direct injection = each runner has a nozzle with gas and fuel going in
Dry injection = only gas injected through nozzle
Wet injection = gas and fuel injected though nozzle

Wet injection is the most reliable and cost effective method and the least risky method of n2o delivery.
i'd hafta disagree. i'd say DP is safer than wet because then u ensure an even mixture in each cylinder. with wet, u can still get a large enough difference in cylinders that it's dangerous. as a general rule, anything over 100shot should be through DP, under 100, and wet is fine.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Wet is safer because you inject fuel, ok if you just have one point, sure you'll get uneven distribution of fuel, but since its combined with the n2o mist, approximately the correct amount of both will go to each cylinder. Dry is generally less safer, because you're trusting the injectors to inject a substancially larger amount of fuel into the combustion chambers, whilst it may sound ok, what happens when you get a variance in the injector or if the injector malfunctions for some reason. Your engine would be done for.
I'd go with wet myself.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dunno like, I guess I'd get wet, since I only need a little nitrous and I think wet is cheaper than DP.

Anyway, I really don't know if I should get it because my engine is completely stock, and even if I use it really rarely, I'm afraid it'll still break.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
Flashmn said:
Wet is safer because you inject fuel, ok if you just have one point, sure you'll get uneven distribution of fuel, but since its combined with the n2o mist, approximately the correct amount of both will go to each cylinder. Dry is generally less safer, because you're trusting the injectors to inject a substancially larger amount of fuel into the combustion chambers, whilst it may sound ok, what happens when you get a variance in the injector or if the injector malfunctions for some reason. Your engine would be done for.
I'd go with wet myself.

yeah, but u won't get as perfect a mixture of n20 and gas. that's why dp is better, it injects the exact amount, or at least a lower amount, so even if there is a little variance, it's not a big deal.

yeah, anything lower than 100, like i said it doesn't matter, u might as well go wet since it's cheaper, because teh variance won't be as much. but if u're going over 100, then go DP, beacsue tehn it's like individual 25's, or 30's, or whatever, and so less variance.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Problem is not with N2O, its with the person who use it. When its used at WOT and above 3k with proper dose, its safe. Most the time people set it to boost at wrong RPM or even too much dose. The stock internal is good for 40 shot. 70 shot is pushing it. Same go with turbo, 5psi is safe, 7 is good, 10 is pushing it. Also you need to make sure engine is in great shape, no leak in head gasket, piston ring. If engine is burning oil, DON'T use nitrous.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've use nitrous over the past 10 years on different car. My first setup was a dry kit on a Toyota 22R-E (in a modifed 4x4) to do mud drag. This was jet to 60hp and never ever had a problem.
My second setup was a dry also on a 5.0l mustang. I've use it over and over without problem.

As previous stated, never under 3000 and never close to rev limiter. the safest is to use with rpm switch and full throttle switch.

It give good result, as it is use only when needed, put less strain on engine that supercharger.

I'll go for a wet kit this time on my 2ZZ-GE, and confident that i'll have no problem. Small 50hp gain.... and mostly huge torque gain

Most bad story about nitrous is due to over jetting, bad install, use at improper rpm and/or lack of fuel. If you get fuel pump problem this will cause severe lean condition...

This happened to one of my friend Suzuki swift GT and it melted the valve...

but anykind of force induction can cause problem, some people that say don't use nitrous it's dangerous, have never in fact use by themself.... this is like a big urban legend...

They wont sell that much nitrous kit if it was so bad

I give my :thumbup: to nitrous...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Interesting, I've never heard of the 3,000 rpm thing before, so I guess I should read up on nitrous some more. I guess I should also get my engine inspected if I decide to go with it. Would you recommend using synthetic oil or premium fuel with nitrous? You guys don't recommend using more than a 40-50, so how much would that do for my engine? Is it a significant boost, or would you reccomend just not wasting the money? Anyone ever used it on a 7A-FE?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would definitly recommand premium fuel. Normaly on a 4cyl as a exemple you can go between 40-60 hp on stock engine depending of engine size. If you have a 1 liter engine, better go with 40hp and if you have a 2.4 (like me 22re for exemple) up to 60. 6cyl up to 75-90 and stock v8 about 125hp.

What I like about the nitrous is the instant kick. 50hp at a press of a button is a good feeling. We tested a 225hp shot on a v8, and this was great also! a good kick.

The 3000rpm lower limit is for non progressive application. As most of install just use selenoid and switch, it will send too much nitrous for safe operation below 3000 rpm. When you use some sort of progressive controller you can spray at lower rpm as you will spray less in the begining.

As if it's worth is money, depend the way you want to use it. If you like to always use max power, or do some sort of track racing ect.. better on the long run with turbo, If you want occasional more power, drag racing type and time to time use like to play with honda and other, than nitrous is a good alternative, as it's economical to install, and you pay for what you use!

Hope this help, if you need any particular info, please contact me

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've no experience with venon kit.... I've only NOS in the past... may worth a trial, I'm tinking to go NX for my corolla kit...

Use I quality kit, and use with common sense.. it will give years and years of pleasure.....

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
yeah, i haven't heard much about venom, mostly about NX and NOS.

i've got a friend running a DP 100shot on his RSX-S and he's still doing fine. but he's selling the kit now, because he wants to go turbo.

i think with a 7a-fe u should be a little conservative, like 50-60shot. on a 4a-fe though, u could probably go up to like a 75. as long as u have all the safety accessories like rpm pills, window switch, etc., you should be perfectly fine.

btw, check out the clubRSX nitrous forum. there are some really great ppl on there. only two ppl there have ever blown their engines, one was cuz he was trying to show off to the ladies, and set his window switch to 1500 to do a burnout in an auto :lol: , and the other was something silly like that, but i don't remember what it was.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a wet shot of 50-55hp. So what's a window switch and rpm pills, etc.?

Also, any idea where I could buy a kit and get it installed? How much does install cost?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The rpm window switch is a controller in witch you select the ''window'' of operation. As exemple from 3000 to 6000rpm

The rpm pills are small plug in used in the window switch to select the ''on'' rpm and the ''off rpm'' Similar pills are used in shift light ect...

As far as installation goes, have always done myself, so I can't tell. but probably 3-4 hours to get a nice install and test

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
The rpm pills are small plug in used in the window switch to select the ''on'' rpm and the ''off rpm''
Which are only resistors.. so you can basically make two variable resistors (potentiometers) and then adjust the RPM's without pulling or installing new pills.:cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts