Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a ford 302 out of a 84 thunderbird. I'm gonna drop it into my 89 toyota pickup. I want to put in a different transmission and transfer case, in order for the other transmission and transfer case to work it has to have the driveshaft output for the front on the passenger side. I was looking into ford bronco stuff. Anyone know what transmission and transfer case I can use with my truck and a 5.0?

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Check with advanced adapters...

Most likely you can use the tranny that was behind the engine in the tbird, and adapt it to the stock toyota transfer case.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I would also think that you will need the ECM from the TBird too or you might end up buying a harness and ECM aftermarket which is pricy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm making it carburated to make it easier. I'll see if I can't find something to adapt the tbird tranny to the toyota transfer case.

·
One with the farce
3,154 Posts
The early bronco 4 speed and t-case will fit with the transfer case output shaft on the passenger side. You will only have a 4 spd unless you can get an adapter for a later Ford 5 speed-to-toyota transfer case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, do you know what year exactly? So I can call some junkyards. Also.. why would i get an adapter for ford 5 speed to toyota transfer case if i'm gonna use a bronco tcase? I think i confused myself there.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
You know, all of these questions should been answered in the guide I posted in your other thread...

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yea id just look around junk yards and search around for an x fer case that accomodates a passenger side drop front axle. not sure whick models that would be as im not a ford guy but if i were going to v-8 swap id most likley go with the 302 also. i think you could get a turbo tranny from any turbo toyota with the 22ret, 86-88 i think. then get an adaptor for the bellhousing that fits a 302. you could also go ford tranny to a toyota case like ovrrdrive mentioned. the stock toyota 22r/re tranny particularly the w series trannies may hold up just fine to a mild v-8 like your 302 and can simply be mounted with a belhousing adaptor from advanced adaptors and a spline adaptor. if you want less headache you would want to go with the ford tranny to the toy case. that way your speedo cable will still be usefull, i do believe they make adaptors for all types. advanced adaptors is a good place to check and also downey off road. you can call downey and request a catalogue for free. the motor mounts should be a breeze with a simple adaptor as well. carbbed is the only way i would go on that setup and a nice big rad with a dual electric fan and shorty headers and your good to go. the a/c and power steering can all be plumbed in very easy as well. just be prepared to have the truck down for a month or 2 so you take your time and have plenty of space to do everything. also takes lots of pics so you dont forget shit.. plus i wanna se a build up thread with lots of pics!!!!:naughty:

sounds like you need to save money and research the whole project a bit. you might try the faq over on pirate 4x4.com and a few other sites, do a search you will find plenty, if you know what your looking for. good luck man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ovrrdrive said:
You know, all of these questions should been answered in the guide I posted in your other thread...
The downey pdf? It was very useful I appreciate it a lot. However downey seems to only deal with GM engines. There is no information in that pdf about ford tranny's or engines. Ample amount of info on other parts of the vehicle though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
subliminaltrips said:
yea id just look around junk yards and search around for an x fer case that accomodates a passenger side drop front axle. not sure whick models that would be as im not a ford guy but if i were going to v-8 swap id most likley go with the 302 also. i think you could get a turbo tranny from any turbo toyota with the 22ret, 86-88 i think. then get an adaptor for the bellhousing that fits a 302. you could also go ford tranny to a toyota case like ovrrdrive mentioned. the stock toyota 22r/re tranny particularly the w series trannies may hold up just fine to a mild v-8 like your 302 and can simply be mounted with a belhousing adaptor from advanced adaptors and a spline adaptor. if you want less headache you would want to go with the ford tranny to the toy case. that way your speedo cable will still be usefull, i do believe they make adaptors for all types. advanced adaptors is a good place to check and also downey off road. you can call downey and request a catalogue for free. the motor mounts should be a breeze with a simple adaptor as well. carbbed is the only way i would go on that setup and a nice big rad with a dual electric fan and shorty headers and your good to go. the a/c and power steering can all be plumbed in very easy as well. just be prepared to have the truck down for a month or 2 so you take your time and have plenty of space to do everything. also takes lots of pics so you dont forget shit.. plus i wanna se a build up thread with lots of pics!!!!:naughty:

sounds like you need to save money and research the whole project a bit. you might try the faq over on pirate 4x4.com and a few other sites, do a search you will find plenty, if you know what your looking for. good luck man.
Well, I searched the advanced adapters website and couldn't find any sort of aod to toyota tcase adapter.

I haven't called yet however, but since I've been seeing such things like bronco trannys' and tcases that drop to the passenger side, i've been researching the crap out of it.. but no luck on what year. the 77's i look at are on the right.

I found the motor mounts from northwest auto, as well as some other things. I'm not even gonna bother with a/c. Power steering will be fine though.

A friend of mine gave me a old 1984 ford thunderbird, it was a old cop car so the motor is actually much better then the standard. It's kinda like a hybrid 302/ho. It can get higher rpm's etc. Plus I'm gonna rebuild it, bore it out, get a different cam, and some other stuff.

I was gonna try to use the AOD tranny from that and find an adapter to my toyota tcase. I was told that there actually is an adapter for it but they have been rumored to grenade (which i don't know where the adapter comes from). So that's when I looked into the bronco stuff.

I also have a contact who has a np435 tranny and adapter for sale, so I might pick that up. However, If i can find a reliable adapter for my AOD tranny to my toyota tcase i'll prolly do that.

I appreciate all of your help here, and once I get this project rolling i'll be sure to post a progress thread with pics. First and foremost I have to decide on a setup for the tranny and tcase, and I also still have to pull the 302 out of the tbird, rebuild it and make it carb'ed. I need to get a pic of my truck on here too.

So far it has 35" super swampers, a 4 inch suspension 2" body lift, At the end of this week I'll have new bds shock absorbers. In time I'm gonna drop the 2" body lift and get some more all terrain type tires, maybe baja tires or something. My goal is to set it up for baja or just plain up offroading at good speeds.

But yea any other help or specific information would help me a ton. Much appreciated guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts