Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a few other members on this forum I lowered my HL using RS-R springs meant for the Lexus RX. That truck-like fender gap is gone and I think the car looks more buttoned down. Drives almost the same; handling is a little tighter. Overall I'm very satisfied and proud to say I did all the work myself. This might be the 1st lowered Gen 3 HL in Canada!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice! I want to do this to my HL so bad!
Thanks!
Do it! You won't regret it. RS-R part # T298D. Took the family for a 40 min drive and no one complained about harshness, 'cause there isn't any! My wife even noticed the reduced nose dive during hard braking.
One thing to keep in mind - if you tow, don't lower the car (common sense).

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Like a few other members on this forum I lowered my HL using RS-R springs meant for the Lexus RX. This might be the 1st lowered Gen 3 HL in Canada!
Curious...how much lower VS stock height ? Any idea if winter time snow would be issue ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking good! I lowered mine about 3 weeks ago and very happy. I drove with my stock wheels and then my aftermarket wheels and the handling was so much better with the aftermarket wheels, a lot sportier. But the ride did get a little bit more firmer, but can't complain on how it handles now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious...how much lower VS stock height ? Any idea if winter time snow would be issue ?
Initially the drop was 1.25". After 220km of city driving the drop is at 1.5" .
It's sitting noticeably lower, but still higher than most sedans, so winter driving should be ok.
I just went outside to measure the ground clearance. It's 9.75" at the front bumper and about 8" at the lowest point under the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Current front fender height after 920 km is 30 7/8". I estimate the drop to be 1 5/8"
I corrected the rear camber to the best of my ability, but she's still going to a performance suspension shop when I find the time. Very pleased with my decision to lower the car. I had my family in the car loaded with beach day stuff a few days ago and no one complained. Now I'm hunting for 20" wheels off of the Venza.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you have to take the HL to a shop for a new alignment for adjustiing camber and tow? Could you also use the RX 450 Springs? I do see the spring rates are alittle different and the rear lowers to 1.2".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you have to take the HL to a shop for a new alignment for adjustiing camber and tow? Could you also use the RX 450 Springs? I do see the spring rates are alittle different and the rear lowers to 1.2".
I'm not sure about the RX450 springs. I used aftermarket lowering springs meant for the 2016 rx350. What you see in the night time pics is my suspension before professional alignment. All I did is I reduced rear camber by playing with the camber bolts on the rear subframe or RSM as we call it at work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at the RS-R springs and they have RX450 springs in stock. The RX350 springs are out of stock. Do you think it is necessary/required to adjust the camber?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I was looking at the RS-R springs and they have RX450 springs in stock. The RX350 springs are out of stock. Do you think it is necessary/required to adjust the camber?
I bought from rs-r (dot) ca. The Canadian site seems to have them, but a bit more expensive...
You can dial out most of the negative camber in the rear yourself by adjusting the camber bolts, as long as you adjust both sides equally by referencing the markings on the camber adjusters. The front isn't that bad. They make eccentric lobe camber bolts for front McPherson suspensions, about $12 each, and you need two. I think the size is 17mm for our HLs. I still have some research to do before I get hosed at the alignment shop.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Before I invest I just want to make sure any additional costs are considered. I would hate to have tires wear out excessively because a shop can't correct the alignment, camber, or toe. How do you use the camber bolts...never had to adjust toe or camber. Time to youtube this.

The main reason I want to lower my HL, my wife is 5'3" and it would make getting in a tad easier. For me (6'2") it is step in and step out with very little rubbing across the seat. I also grew up in SoCAL (LBC), and I love the appearance of a lowered vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like I stated in an earlier post , I'm out $502 CAD. YouTube is your friend for rear camber bolt adjustment help. Front camber is more tricky. Expect another $200 for custom alignment

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I just looked back and I didn't mention how much I spent on the springs. I also bought a spring compressor set for $40 CAD, and a new front sway bar link that I busted trying to take it off. That one was $30 CAD for a good quality unit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I saw several kits online but waiting to see how your whole experience pans out. Can you take pictures of the DIY camber install and adjustment your going to be doing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
16XLE
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing