Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i was driving down the road and decided to speed up a little. Now i am usually able to hear the high wine of my intake manifold sucking in air right in front of my dashboard, so i didn't get too concerned at first, but as i keeps speeding up and then slowing down the sound seemed to change from a high sucking wine kind of sound to a rattling spring sucking kind of wine that was much louder then usual.

After i realized what was going on, i pulled to the side of the road popped my hood and revved the engine and it sounded like i had a turbo shoving extra air into my engine and that a one of the cylinders was miss-fiering. It sounded like one of the cars with a turbo that when it passes you, and it coasts, you can hear extra firings from the turbo winding down.

Just concerns me a little cuz it never sounded like this, and the check engine light hasn't even come on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it sounded alright there. I opened up the air filter box and revved my engine to see if there was prober suction and for any mysterious sounds, but it all seemed good up to the tb...

I also checked by intake manifold while i revved the engine, it sounded like a spring was shaking or whining. and the engine sputtered with a deep miss-fire tone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so i actually think i figured this one out. I think i have an exhaust leak on inner exhaust manifold. That would explain the weird misfire sound that sounded like a turbo winding down with fireback, and it would also explain the high whiney spring sound coming from right behind my dash under the intake manifold.

Now all i hope is that this isn't a serious problem and that it could possibly be fixed easily.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
You might check you engine mounts to make sure excessive movement did not cause the pipe to fracture.

A simple power break test will tell if the mounts are bad. . . >> Engine power + Brakes at the same time! Now open the hood and watch! <important part!

Engine running, push foot brake, select drive, look through open hood to engine, apply gas, like 1/4 to 3/8 throttle is plenty. If it doesn't move more than an 1/2", life is good. This should only take a couple seconds max OK! Just ease into the throttle and see if the engine and trans move allot.

No worries, you can this to sticks too, its bit harder keeping your foot on the GAS, Brakes and Clutch all at the same time tho! Set the E-brake AND turn a foot sideways. On Sticks your gonna heat the clutch up fast slipping it. So make it quick! << Remember you're not moving the car, just applying lots of torque like you do driving.

Not recommended on dirt, gravel, or loose anything. And don't pull up behind something you can't afford to replace!!!!!

Although a concrete wall is good place to power break beaters! Just don't whack the wall as you could trigger the AIR-BAG! I am not responsible for this!

·
Registered
188 Posts
exauhst manifold leaks usally sound like a ticking sound. that could be confused with a misfire sound. check to see if your rps on your tach are steady. you can usually see fluxuation with a skip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might check you engine mounts to make sure excessive movement did not cause the pipe to fracture.

A simple power break test will tell if the mounts are bad. . . >> Engine power + Brakes at the same time! Now open the hood and watch! <important part!
This sounds like the first thing im goin to do in the morning :D

The thing is that i do think this started after i went over a nice big bump that might have actually gotten me into a air a couple of inches. After i came down it sounded like i had a leaking noise but thought it was just my intake. lol Today as i was driving i did notice a smell of strong exhaust that seemed like it hadn't yet gone through the cat...

That kind of tipped me off on the pieces coming together.

exauhst manifold leaks usally sound like a ticking sound. that could be confused with a misfire sound. check to see if your rps on your tach are steady. you can usually see fluxuation with a skip.

I have to say it does seem sort of like a slight ticking... like i had a clear acoustic path to the sound of the firing pistons. I think that is what got me to believe the horror that might have ensued in a worst case scenario. And i dont actually think i have a misfiring because i have a steady idle speed on the tach and i feel like i actually GAINED a slight amount of power from this little miss hap...

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
4 or 6 and is the exhaust all rusty?

Sounds like pipe fracture at the header level close the engine head or simply an blown gasket at the head. This makes a tick, tick tick tick every time that cylinder fires. A leak after all pipe join has more of sputtery (idle) whoooshy (at rpm).

An inspection at idle with long hollow tube to the ear can isolate. Also a bare hand over the suspect area and you'll feel the leak.

FYI: This could lead to a CEL for emissions related failure. . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm, i have to say it's really making a ticking noise.... its more like a sputtering sound when i sharply let go of the accelerator. And it's a v6.

today i decided to seafoam it and i did see some smoke coming up from the engine compartment but i didn't get a chance to see from where though.

I also did the power break test and saw that my engine is moving about 3 inches when i step on the accelerator... that didn't seem too good. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it makes it official, i can smell exhaust in my car when i sit still for about 2 minutes and have the ventilation set to outside...

Personally... im finding that a little dangerous, so i think im gona get this fixed as soon as possible :D

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
The most common part of the exhaust system that goes in the front, under the engine, is the flex pipe. If that's the case, try a local muffler shop to cut out the old flex pipe and weld in a new aftermarket one. Should run about $150.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts