Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease is almost up on my 2007 Tacoma 4x4, single cab, 2.7L 5-spd. (next month) Debating on what I want to do with it. Only has 17,000 miles on it, so I know it is worth more than the buy out price. Debating about buying it out, and then trying to do a private sale, but I am not really sure what to expect for a private sales price. Can I trust the kbb values? I've also upgraded to the oem alloy wheels, along with some nicer off-road tires vs. the crap tires that came on the truck, and added cruise control, intermittent wiper stalk, and auto-dim rear view mirror. Plus a tow bar. So, not sure how much those would be worth to the final asking price either.

Anyone else buyout their lease and turn around and sell it? Advice?

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
Aside from KBB, I would also check
http://www.edmunds.com/. Among other features, they have what they call True Market Value, which may be a bit more accurate. IIRC, both sites let you select the condition of your vehicle as well as all options etc.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
Not knocking you, but why did you spend money on mods and upgrades for a lease? Was your intent to buy out the lease at the end anyway? Seems like a waste of money otherwise...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not knocking you, but why did you spend money on mods and upgrades for a lease? Was your intent to buy out the lease at the end anyway? Seems like a waste of money otherwise...
Well, because I drove and used it for 3 years. The mods were not a lot of money actually. Cruise and wiper stalks were a $100 in parts, mirror used on ebay was 50 or so, alloy rims were $200 shipped (got a great deal), rubber was $600, but I sold the steel wheels/tires for $350. Tow hitch was $200 I think, needed that. Did all of this within the first few months, and enjoyed the benefits for the last 3 years. Worth it in my opinion, lease or no lease.

·
Registered
09 DC trd sport
52 Posts
I use edmunds exclusively. And I always buy at edmunds also. kbb and nada are shit in my opinion, good for a bank loan value that's about it. And dealers to inflate their inventory prices
I just put my 09 up for sale at below edmunds trade in.
Whenever I sell it usually takes me a week to get a deal done. usually at right around private party edmunds value.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My lease is almost up on my 2007 Tacoma 4x4, single cab, 2.7L 5-spd. (next month) Debating on what I want to do with it. Only has 17,000 miles on it, so I know it is worth more than the buy out price. Debating about buying it out, and then trying to do a private sale, but I am not really sure what to expect for a private sales price. Can I trust the kbb values? I've also upgraded to the oem alloy wheels, along with some nicer off-road tires vs. the crap tires that came on the truck, and added cruise control, intermittent wiper stalk, and auto-dim rear view mirror. Plus a tow bar. So, not sure how much those would be worth to the final asking price either.

Anyone else buyout their lease and turn around and sell it? Advice?

Look at KBB/Edmunds etc and value the truck the way they do. Do NOT expect to get average retail for a private sale...there has to be a win/win or I'd just walk away. In turn, I don't expect to pay average wholesale...unless condition is just to bad. But then, I'd walk away on that basis anyhow.

Also do NOT expect to get value for any mods unless you're selling to someone who likes exactly what you do and knows how to asses value for their condition.

You personalized your truck: what does that tell you? In fact, you can expect a lot of people to try and knock down the price for things they don't like: if someone wanted me to by their lifted truck, for instance, I'd want a grand off (IF you have the OEM parts) 'cause I need to spend bucks putting it back to stock. Most people would be that way, you'll find quickly.

But then: there's an idiot born every minute. Maybe you'll find one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts