Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, - RAV4 silver /Black
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 tanks and I'm averaging 19 city / highway:(

I hope and expect it to go up a fair amount for an upcoming longer trip. 700+- miles each way, damn near all highway. Headed down to Quantico, VA from Maine Sunday, then back Monday, then back down again 2 weeks later and back the next day.

When I filled up the 2nd time it said 298 miles to empty.

I realize this is early (337 miles so far) (Yes 2nd fill-up it wasn't empty, about half a tank), but my guess is by the end of the month I should have 4, 5,000 miles on it, and the mileage should be what it's going to be.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm AWD, which I guess is about 2 MPG less then FWD

·
Registered
'19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,305 Posts
I'm AWD, which I guess is about 2 MPG less then FWD
That used to be the case with 4WD or full time AWD but most new cross-over vehicles now are on-demand AWD which reduces the MPG hit considerably, generally 1MPG or less. A few months back I was reading an interview with a GM engineer where he stated the real world hit with the current generation of GMC Acadia AWD is .5MPG. It's probably reasonable to expect other vehicles in the class to be about the same.

Edit: Just to clarify the interview was, in part, about the new GMC AWD system that decoupled the rear wheels/drive train from the transmission when they weren't needed thus eliminating a good part of the parasitic power drain normally associated with AWD systems.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's hoping. I based my statement from Toyota's web site

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Here's hoping. I based my statement from Toyota's web site
Yeah, I'm having a bit of a problem understanding Toyota's mileage numbers. The HL brochure shows a 1 MPG hit city, 2 MPG hit highway but only 1 MPG overall, across all trims. :unsure: (Must be the 'new math' I never learned.)

MILEAGE ESTIMATES (mpg city/highway)
FWD 21/29/24 21/29/24 21/29/24 21/29/24 21/29/24 36/35/36 36/35/36 36/35/36 36/35/36
AWD 20/27/23 20/27/23 20/27/23 20/27/23 20/27/23 35/35/35 35/35/35 35/34/35 35/34/35

Source: https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2020/highlander_ebrochure.pdf

·
Registered
2020 HL Platinum AWD
40 Posts
I have over 600 miles logged and have been under 17 combined mpg. Definitely disappointing. Only 1 mpg better than the 18 yr old 4Runner I replaced. I have a heavy foot and don’t do a lot of highway driving, but seems low even then.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
170 Posts
Driving style has a massive impact...my average according to the MID is sitting around 20 right now but slowly creeping up. Lots of idling and joyrides around town with a heavy foot involved. But I Tracked my commute today (80 miles round trip) and got nearly 30 mpg...mostly highway ofc, eco mode , mostly on cruise control.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
I drive with a lead foot (much to the dismay of the Toyota app) and the mix is about 65% city short trips and 35% rural roads (two lane 55 MPH, not expressway). I'm getting about 17.5 MPG so far. It's doing about 1 MPG better than the 2016 Highlander I had under the same conditions (MPG is always lower in winter than in summer), which is on par with the fact that the EPA rating is 1 MPG better for 2020 than in 2016.

When I stop for gas and then immediately drive 55 MPH for 20 miles or so, the trip meter shows much more impressive numbers in the range of 23-25 MPG.

In the summer I usually manage to average the car's EPA city rating.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,463 Posts
Right now with about 700 miles on the clock, I am seeing 24.2 showing on MID. I am on the 3rd tank. Best was 26.4 on the first tank.

It is all driving style. Also tire pressure. Mine came high from the dealer and I left it at 41 (sticker is 36.). The ride may be harsher but I do not notice.

My mileage really dropped when the detailer drove it the other day......

My driving has a lot of flat too.

If you can manage not to jack rabbit and keep it around 60ish on the freeway, you can get it better. Since typically I have no time pressure, I just do not drive so fast. But, I do need to break in the engine....

It is all driving style and terrain.

It IS hard to keep your foot out of it!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have about 1000 miles (1600km) on my Platinum. I don't know how accurate the MID info is but this weekend, I made a 1 hour trip on Sunday and return trip on Monday. The info on the MID was averaging 33.6 mpg (7.0 L/100km) one way and 29.8 mpg (7.9 L/100km) for the return trip. I was averaging about 60 mph (97 km/h) or slightly less at times because of the different speed limits. I have 18/65/235 Michelin snow tires on the vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,463 Posts
MPG is ALL technique!

If I set the cruise for 58 mph or so it seems a lot better than up at 65-70 mph.

Oh yes and you must set ECO mode too.....

Last night I put our UX in Sport for a bit (until my daughter asked what I was doing!) and the mpgs tanked. If you want better mileage drive a smaller car too. The UX (Toyota CHR) constantly gets an easy low 30 mpgs all the time and my wife drives with out thought of economy. The UX is a baby SUV but nicer / better than the CHR.

Better mpgs are a matter of self control.......

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
...I was averaging about 60 mph (97 km/h) or slightly less...
That's pretty much the 'sweet spot' for highway mileage. ?

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
170 Posts
Reset the trip mileage to see what my morning commute was getting me...it’s mixed driving, mostly highway but traveling from Maryland into Alexandria, Virginia through washington DC so several miles of bumper to bumper traffic are also involved.

First photo was right before I hit traffic. Second photo was at the end of my commute, it didn’t tank as much as I was expecting from traffic...just utilized the stop start feature every time I got stuck. Cruise was set to 60-65. Mpg was actually over 31 at the end but then I got gutsy with the gas pedal towards the end :). Eco mode + cruise control does a good job. Going to track it over several days and see how much it changes.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Auto part
Vehicle Car Speedometer Auto part Gauge

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,198 Posts
I’m not sure what the mechanism is of estimating MPG in real-time. Is there actually a sensor that detects how much fuel is being consumed or is it simply an estimate based on the throttle, etc? If there is no sensor then I’m not sure any of these dash readings can be relied on. The only way to accurately measure MPG may be by filling the tank to the some known level and dividing the miles driven until the next time by the amount that is needed to fill the tank to the same level.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Juat took a trip from Maine to VA, and got 26.3 down and 27.2 back. I didn't expect that good, and expected better driving downhill to VA., and less, driving Uphill to Maine:)

Highway 70+ MPH (70 to 80 average), using cruise most of the time. 1 time 124 miles non-stop, and another about 300+ miles without stopping.

So as good as it is likely to be, and we're fine with that.

3 Adults, with 6 suitcases down, non coming back.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.