Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get my brother to trade his 2017 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4 turbo sedan for the new Corolla with the new pretentiously named "Dynamic Force" 2.0 litre and we hated it. It was a massive disappointment. You really have to rev the engine to make the car go and the fuel economy goes down the tubes as the noise INCREASES.

Honestly, it's so bad that I felt embarrassed trying to get my brother to trade his 2017 Cruze 1.4 turbo sedan for the 2020 Corolla 2 litre and the new Toyota is slower than his 3 year old Chevy. Needless to say, he gave up the idea of trading the Cruze for the Corolla.

Toyota needs to stop being so stubborn and give the Corolla an even better turbo engine than the one in the Cruze. An 1.6 turbo with 180 hp and 210 Ib-ft of torque will give the Corolla the force to be dynamic.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It’s an economy car. It always will be. Built with the full intention to reach a certain price point, enough of a feature set, and to never die on you. The 2.0L is basically the best engine it’s had in over ten years and if rumors are to be believed, a TRD or Gazoo version is on the horizon in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
tried to get my brother to trade his 2017 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4 turbo sedan for the new Corolla with the new pretentiously named "Dynamic Force" 2.0 litre and we hated it. It was a massive disappointment.
So, did you lose a sale commission? ;) If so, you definitely have to propose another model to your buyer!

There is no denying that the Cruze 1.4T is an interesting car on many aspects with one or the other (or many) checking a box. The problem is more global, as in typical GM way, the car was killed once it finally reached competitive status after years of reliability struggling… This is what ultimately led me (and many others…) to Corolla.

That’s the quiet niche of Corolla, at least in NA. Maybe they will eventually feel the need to import a GRMN or Blade Corolla, but so far the branding suited them very well vs competition. You assume the marketing name “Dynamic force” refers to “sporty” but it rather describes the engineering characteristics and operation of this family of engines.

Same good reliable A to B car with more HP and yet better MPG than previous generation. That’s another definition of “decent”.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Must be new to Corolla's, they have always been a boring car but reliable. I'm sure there should be a Honda dealer close by.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't get what OP is saying. 1.4T Cruze is dog slow. 1.5T Civic is dog slow. I have driven many turbo 4 cars in our search for my wife's new car (which is an SE HB now). We go to the dealers in my Nissan Titan or Infiniti Q60, both of these vehicles absolutely crush cars in the economy segment, so that is my perspective.
It's all relative, they all felt slow to me. Just different degrees of slow. I agree, the M20A is possibly the "slowest" compared to Cruze 1.4T or Civic 1.5T, but the difference is tiny. They are all slow and I wouldn't own any of them.
But, my wife LOVES her new Corolla HB and is not impressed at all by my Q60 or Titan.
This is how Toyota manages to kill it.
The new Corolla is a FAR BETTER car than the Cruze in every way, unless you just focus on one or two metrics. Overall, Corolla is better.

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
62 Posts
Toyota's 2.0L isn't the most performance oriented engine at all but I can almost guarantee you it will last longer than Chevy's 1.4L turbo. And that's the point of the Corolla. It's a RELIABLE transportation appliance that will last and is cheap to fix and maintain.

Many of us are very happy with it because a lot of us upgraded a previous generation Corolla with the 1.8L engine. It's a night and day difference.

·
Registered
2018 Yaris LE hatch, 2020 Yaris LE hatch
81 Posts
Honda has oil dilution issues on their "hot, sexy" turbo motor in Civic. Quality is more important than pleasing internet racers.

·
Registered
2020 SE CVT
49 Posts
Toyota's 2.0L isn't the most performance oriented engine at all but I can almost guarantee you it will last longer than Chevy's 1.4L turbo. And that's the point of the Corolla. It's a RELIABLE transportation appliance that will last and is cheap to fix and maintain.

Many of us are very happy with it because a lot of us upgraded a previous generation Corolla with the 1.8L engine. It's a night and day difference.
I hope your right about the 2L lasting a long time. Being brand new and with so many new systems and technologies incorporated, I think we owners are taking a big leap of faith with Toyota quality.

“Cheap to fix”? I hope I’m wrong but something tells me this vehicle won’t be DIY friendly. High level of complexity may result in having to head to a dealer for diagnostics and repairs.

I won’t even start regarding the brand new CVT.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
843 Posts
1: You want the most of any engine, don't buy a CVT.
2: The Corolla has 168hp. With minor bolt ons, 170--175 is obtainable with what's available right now. I should be at that mark with less than $500 in it.
3: In the Corolla's history it's NEVER been about straight line performance. Why would that suddenly change?
4: Not only does it look better than anything Chevy is offering, but it's built better..
5: Which one will be on the road in 20 years? Not the Chevy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Found this on Motor Trend

With a troublesome shifter and roly-poly suspension, how did the Chevy perform on the track? The 153-hp, 177-lb-ft of torque 1.4-liter turbocharged I-4 engine propels the Cruze hatch to 60 mph in 8.4 seconds, faster than the naturally aspirated 2017 Subaru Impreza's (CVT) time of 9.2 seconds but slower than the turbocharged 2017 Civic Sport hatchback's (six-speed manual) time of 7.5 seconds and the turbocharged 2015 VW Golf (six-speed automatic) time of 7.8 seconds.
6 speed manual Cruze 1.4T does 0-60 in 8.4 seconds and quarter mile in 16.4 @86.8mph

Corolla Hatchback SE 6 Speed Manual does 0-60 in 7.4, and quarter mile in 15.8 @88.4mph. XSE CVT 8.6 and 16.5 @85.9mph respectively.

So actually the Corolla Hatchback is even faster than the Civic Sport Hatchback 0-60.

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
62 Posts
I hope your right about the 2L lasting a long time. Being brand new and with so many new systems and technologies incorporated, I think we owners are taking a big leap of faith with Toyota quality.

“Cheap to fix”? I hope I’m wrong but something tells me this vehicle won’t be DIY friendly. High level of complexity may result in having to head to a dealer for diagnostics and repairs.

With Toyota's record, I believe it will last a while. I can't think of many things that's different fundamentally than other Toyota engines. It has 4 cylinders, 16 valves, timing chain, and no turbo. It does have port and direct injection to prevent carbon buildup (I can't see that failing anytime soon) and an electric water pump which is easier to replace than a mechanical one.

I'd be more concerned with the CVT more than anything. Even then, I wouldn't be too worried since they've built CVTs before. I think this new one is actually more reliable since the stress/torque of launching a car is put on a physical gear rather than a belt.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
843 Posts
With Toyota's record, I believe it will last a while. I can't think of many things that's different fundamentally than other Toyota engines. It has 4 cylinders, 16 valves, timing chain, and no turbo. It does have port and direct injection to prevent carbon buildup (I can't see that failing anytime soon) and an electric water pump which is easier to replace than a mechanical one.

I'd be more concerned with the CVT more than anything. Even then, I wouldn't be too worried since they've built CVTs before. I think this new one is actually more reliable since the stress/torque of launching a car is put on a physical gear rather than a belt.
How dare you use facts.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Quoting the shop foreman at my dealer, he said that Toyota has been doing dual injections for some time in Japan and the 2.0L is just a newer version. He does not expect to see "major" problem comparing to other new technologies that they introduced like the "CVT", lol.

·
straight cash homie
20,212 Posts
The OP is in Brazil? Their market will still have the Cruze...If I was in Brazil, I think there are more small cars that are fun to drive that you could get. VW Polo?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I tried to get my brother to trade his 2017 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4 turbo sedan for the new Corolla with the new pretentiously named "Dynamic Force" 2.0 litre and we hated it. It was a massive disappointment. You really have to rev the engine to make the car go and the fuel economy goes down the tubes as the noise INCREASES.

Honestly, it's so bad that I felt embarrassed trying to get my brother to trade his 2017 Cruze 1.4 turbo sedan for the 2020 Corolla 2 litre and the new Toyota is slower than his 3 year old Chevy. Needless to say, he gave up the idea of trading the Cruze for the Corolla.

Toyota needs to stop being so stubborn and give the Corolla an even better turbo engine than the one in the Cruze. An 1.6 turbo with 180 hp and 210 Ib-ft of torque will give the Corolla the force to be dynamic.
Different people have different preferences, like buying clothes, getting food, buying cars, etc. The choices are very subjective. Toyota created the Corolla that has been very successful capturing a big chunk of the car buying market over the years, much more than anything Chevrolet can build including the Cruze. If your brother or yourself are impressed with the Cruze, and that is your preference, stay with it. I don’t believe Toyota is being stubborn not to put an engine to compete with the Cruze, they spec out the car the way it is to maintain market share. If anything, Chevy may consider learning from Toyota to try to gain some more customers. Horse power is not the only reason people buy cars. Personally, I really enjoy the new 2.0L engine Toyota put in the Corolla. I would buy this car 10 times over before I would even consider the Cruze.

·
straight cash homie
20,212 Posts
Different people have different preferences, like buying clothes, getting food, buying cars, etc. The choices are very subjective. Toyota created the Corolla that has been very successful capturing a big chunk of the car buying market over the years, much more than anything Chevrolet can build including the Cruze. If your brother or yourself are impressed with the Cruze, and that is your preference, stay with it. I don’t believe Toyota is being stubborn not to put an engine to compete with the Cruze, they spec out the car the way it is to maintain market share. If anything, Chevy may consider learning from Toyota to try to gain some more customers. Horse power is not the only reason people buy cars. Personally, I really enjoy the new 2.0L engine Toyota put in the Corolla. I would buy this car 10 times over before I would even consider the Cruze.
I rented a Cruze for two weeks in South Florida back in 2017. I liked that it had a turbo engine, and it was fun to punch in on the FL highways, but yeah, the build quality left a lot to desire besides the quirks of a GM built car. I took this over a Corolla rental because at the time, it was new and had Carplay/Android Auto which Corollas didn't offer back then and needed the map for my job. I can see why Chevy chose to discontinue it but it sucks because the Hatch is nicely styled much like Toyota did with the Corolla hatch. Chevy's bread and butter isn't small cars for sure, at least not locally.

With that said, I get why a lot of people keep asking the same question a lot. As an enthusiast, it doesn't matter how many Corollas are sold in the world, or that it used to be RWD and can be drifted, but Toyota can't offer a Corolla today to compete with the Civic, which is like the de-facto benchmark of FWD compact performance besides the VW GTI, and not the Cruze. The current Corolla has the best potential of any FF Corolla made so far, and they even promised a GR version.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I'm not sure what you're expecting from a mainstream compact car. My SE HB 6-spd. goes 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and gets close to 40mpg at 70-75 mph cruising on my commute in the winter. Even the CVT is supposed to be mid-eights and probably gets better mpg. And I'd be willing to bet this 2.0L will outlast the 1.4L turbo in the Cruze.

·
イリジウム
12,207 Posts
I think the answer is two fold: yes and no.

yes in that Toyota already put in a decent engine - for the inexpensive, mass produced econo-box that the Corolla is.

no in that the Corolla will not be anything even remotely like the Civic.

however, has your brother tried a compact VW Golf GTI? Or even the base Golf If fun to drive is a requirement.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts