Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The following is the procedure for modifying your OEM fog light switch to light up a different color when the fog lights are on. In order for this modification to work properly the "fog light always on" mod must be done. The reason is that the relay drops the output line from the switch to ground if there is no power to it.

**Disclaimer** Do this modification at your own risk, this is for information purposes only! Damage to your electrical system could occur. **Disclaimer**

Parts Needed:
Small Flat Blade Screwdriver
Soldering Iron
Solder
3mm LED for illumination (normal light, switch off, desired color)
3mm LED for "On" (switch on, desired color)
Resistor 110 ohm 1/4W or desired output.
Drill
Drill bit (size of cathode of LED)
Shrink tubing.

Here is the switch and pin layout. If you have the switch laying with the light bulb side up, then the pins from right to left are; +12V illumination, Ground, Switch output, Switch input.

1 - Remove the light bulb. Quarter turn counter clockwise and pull up.

2 - Using a flat blade screw driver, unlock the tabs holding the Top of the switch (4 tabs) and remove the top.

Here is the bottom side of the Top.

3 - Drill a small hole, from the bottom side of the Top, inline with the output pin. This hole only needs to be large enough to have the cathode of the LED fit through. This is where your "On" LED will pass through and connect.

View of LED cathode on top side of top.

4 - Tin the electrical connections. You want to do both contacts for the light bulb, and there is a small hole that makes contact with the output pin.

5 - Take your resistor and bend it into shape. You want to have one lead from the resistor make contact with the +12V illumination contact, and then drop to the bottom of the Top piece.

6 - Solder in the resistor. I added heat shrink to eliminate any chance of shorting on the ground connection.

7 - Take your "Off" or illumination LED and bend the cathode in two 90 degree angles, so that the LED will point to the front of the switch (button) and the cathode will connect to the ground connection.

8 - Install the "On" LED, sliding the cathode through the hole you drilled. You may need to cut the cathode down some. You want the LED's to sit side by side. Bend the cathode down 90 degrees so that it penetrates the hole that you tinned on the output pin. Solder the cathode.

9 - Solder the anode of both LEDs to the resistor and cut the excess.

*NOTE* in these pictures I have the anode connections low so that I could take the picture. These should be tucked as close to the bottom of the Top as possible, otherwise the switch will not lock and unlock properly.

10 - Test your solder job and make sure that the LEDs light up. I use a 9V battery.

11- Slide the Top back down onto the switch (carefully) and turn on the LED's. You want to make sure that they are aimed properly and at the icon on the button. If not then you can pop off the button and aim them by moving them to the desired location.

*NOTE* if you are using a brighter color i.e. white for your illumination then you might not want the LED pointing directly at the icon. The illumination LED will not turn off when the switch is active, but the indicator LED will turn on in addition to the illumination LED. A brighter LED will oversaturate the indicator LED if they are aimed at the same location.

Illumination

Indicator

Both (typical condition for switch on) In this case, the white as the illumination was oversaturating the blue, so I had to aim the white away from the icon. Final product had more blue when the fog light was on.

Test your switch to ensure it locks in the On postion and then turns off. You can test this using the 9V battery connected to the +12V illumination and the switch Input pin. Press the button on and off and see if the light works.

*NOTE* The switch is designed to work on its side, as if it was installed in the vehicle (light bulb to the right).

Scroll down for more pictures and a video of the fog light switch in action.

·
Registered
641 Posts
When I was installing my fogs last week, I toyed with the idea of tieing the illum hot into the switch out, so the light (only) comes on when the fogs are on.

But, as it is for now, the illum/power in are both tied to the marker light.

·
Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cddallara said:
When I was installing my fogs last week, I toyed with the idea of tieing the illum hot into the switch out, so the light (only) comes on when the fogs are on.

But, as it is for now, the illum/power in are both tied to the marker light.
I just did the fog light mod and the light in the switch works perfect. Always blue when the running or headlights are on and as soon as you turn on the fogs the white light kicks on. woo hoo:clap:

·
Registered
641 Posts
slvrAZtaco said:
I just did the fog light mod and the light in the switch works perfect. Always blue when the running or headlights are on and as soon as you turn on the fogs the white light kicks on. woo hoo:clap:
I wish I had factory fogs (from the factory), or at least the wiring. It'd be sooo much cleaner!

that is a good idea, I'd forget which color was which though!:D

·
Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cddallara said:
I wish I had factory fogs (from the factory), or at least the wiring. It'd be sooo much cleaner!

that is a good idea, I'd forget which color was which though!:D
Everything is blue in my truck so white stands out.. I was going to do red or green but all I had was blue and white 3mm leds. I will do another color in my other switch, once I do some bed lights.:D

·
Don't be stupid you moron
2007 Tacoma DC 4x4
136 Posts
could you explain exactly what you did to make the switch light up different colors. thanks

·
Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glk21c said:
could you explain exactly what you did to make the switch light up different colors. thanks
I will write up a full procedure. I had already changed the switch to blue by adding in a LED & Resistor, then today I added another LED just attached to the Output pin.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
I think I've figured out how to get the light to illuminate only when the fog lights are on. I'll be working on it tomorrow, so I'll post some results when I get done. So far, the only problem I see is that I don't think the fog light switch will dim with the rheostat. That's a small price to pay, but I might be able to work it out.

·
Registered
Tacoma, Prerunner
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TacoMSU said:
I think I've figured out how to get the light to illuminate only when the fog lights are on. I'll be working on it tomorrow, so I'll post some results when I get done. So far, the only problem I see is that I don't think the fog light switch will dim with the rheostat. That's a small price to pay, but I might be able to work it out.
I thought about doing that as well, but I wanted to be able to see the switch when it is dark.

I think you can just use the output of the switch for your ground to do what you want to do. That way you only have power when your headlights are on, and you will only have that ground when the fog lights are on. Was that what you were thinking about doing? That way the power for the light would still be controlled by the dimmer, you would just have to have both the headlights and fog lights on to have the light on.

·
Registered
641 Posts
slvrAZtaco said:
I thought about doing that as well, but I wanted to be able to see the switch when it is dark.

I think you can just use the output of the switch for your ground to do what you want to do. That way you only have power when your headlights are on, and you will only have that ground when the fog lights are on. Was that what you were thinking about doing? That way the power for the light would still be controlled by the dimmer, you would just have to have both the headlights and fog lights on to have the light on.
cddallara said:
:confused: ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.