Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Nikkei business daily in Japan is reporting that the next generation Prius – due out next year as a 2010 model – will supposedly be fitted with solar panels to power a variety of electrical accessories, including the air conditioning. The source informed Nikkei that the solar panels, which would be a first on a production vehicle offered by a major automaker, would be equipped on "high-end" versions of the Prius. There was no mention of what kind of premium Toyota will charge for the solar-equipped Prius, but it confirms earlier reports that ToMoCo plans to expand its lineup of hybrid models.

[Source: AutoBlog]
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/07/solar-panels-to-power-accessories-on-next-toyota-prius/

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sienna
91 Posts

The Nikkei business daily in Japan is reporting that the next generation Prius – due out next year as a 2010 model – will supposedly be fitted with solar panels to power a variety of electrical accessories, including the air conditioning. The source informed Nikkei that the solar panels, which would be a first on a production vehicle offered by a major automaker, would be equipped on "high-end" versions of the Prius. There was no mention of what kind of premium Toyota will charge for the solar-equipped Prius, but it confirms earlier reports that ToMoCo plans to expand its lineup of hybrid models.

[Source: AutoBlog]
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/07/solar-panels-to-power-accessories-on-next-toyota-prius/
There already is an aftermarket Prius with Solar Panels to recharge a battery.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/solar_hybrid_ca.php

:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Omg that is so hidious. I didn't think it was possible but they managed to out ugly the current prius. Maybe they would sell more prius's if they were'nt so wretchid looking. I would love to drive a hybrid but I have standards, and I won't be caught dead in that f-ing turd!!!

Thanks Toyota... now everyone can spend to much to have de-minimus effect on the enviroment while looking like a complete dork cruisin around in a lame a$$ turd... YAAAYYYY.

I'll take the hybrid/diesel golf when it comes out thank you very much.
And thats coming from a guy that loves Toyota and can't stand V-dub.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Omg that is so hidious. I didn't think it was possible but they managed to out ugly the current prius. Maybe they would sell more prius's if they were'nt so wretchid looking. I would love to drive a hybrid but I have standards, and I won't be caught dead in that f-ing turd!!!

Thanks Toyota... now everyone can spend to much to have de-minimus effect on the enviroment while looking like a complete dork cruisin around in a lame a$$ turd... YAAAYYYY.

Omg that isn't the new Prius....so you can calm the f down. Now you can wait until the real thing comes out so that you can find a reason not to like it then. Until then you'll have to be satisfied with sounding like a complete dork.

·
Posting via iPhone/iPad
92 miata
1,117 Posts
I'm not fond of the window and lights combined. Neat idea though.

Overall, I enjoy the prius and think it is a cute car. This one is right up their alley. I am not liking the look of the back Aztek-ish look.

·
My celica loves twistys.
1992 Toyota Paseo
659 Posts
This is concept art dont take it seriusly

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sienna
91 Posts

Why are you still supporting an ancient engine technology like diesels? In reality it still depends on oil like its gas engine counterparts. Diesels(Clean Diesels/Blutec/etc) just recently were able to meet the stringent Calif/AQMD emissions standards. Prior to that they were referred to as in Thomas and Friends; those Smelly Diesels. Visiting most third world countries, you can see the effect of diesel emissions on the population in general and isn't pretty. Diesels emit carcinogens that can cause lung cancer and only recently were able to be filtered out using Urea. Even with Blutec and Honda's Clean Diesel, they still won't be able to achieve a PZEV without even more complex filtering. Throw in the price differential of diesel vs gas and the drying of oil resources, renewables are the future. Hybrids are just a transistion phase until pure electric vehicle technology matures and it will in an enviroment where gas prices are north of $5/gallon.

:cool:

·
My celica loves twistys.
1992 Toyota Paseo
659 Posts
thats still a rendering XD
not actual end product
but good info still

·
Procrastinating on TN
'93 Pickup
3,459 Posts
You can bet that the ones with solar panels are gonna be friggin' expensive...looks like it could be the best and latest version of the celebrity "I love the enivronment" car. Great idea, any info on when it's actually supposed to be available?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts