1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade my 01 Solara 3.0 V6- 4 speed
auto to a 3.3 litre V6-5 speed auto.

Were frame / chassis / interior modifications made in the 04 model that
would make it difficult to fit this engine into my 01 model?

I recently drove a 3.0 RX-300 4 speed auto through the colorado
mountains and returned in a RX-330 / 5-speed on the return trip. The 3 litre
raced at fairly high rpm in the mountains. The 3.3 / 5-speed preformed much
better and at lower rpm.

Thought the 3.3 5 speed in the pre 2004 Lighter "appx 350 lbs."Solara
might be the ideal all around combination that might even deliver
improved mileage.

Jim

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,087 Posts
Jim,

While just about anything is possible you need to consider some things besides the engine/transmission swap.

With our computer controlled vehicles it just isn't as easy as ripping out the old 327 Chevy engine and dropping in a 383 stroker.

The throttle on the 3.3 is electronically controlled (no cable). That may or may not be the same as your current engine but thought I'd mention it. The transmission is also all electronic with shift points dictated by lots of sensor input. Bottom line in addition to swapping the engine/transmission you'd also have to transplant the appropriate ECU(s) and wiring harnesses.

Again, I'm not saying it can't be done, maybe all the mount points are exactly the same but I'd encourage you need to look deeper into the project and make a complete list before you start probing recycling yards for everything you might need.

Cheers

·
Every Day Driver
Solara 01
96 Posts
good points. I too like the idea of the swap. Have you thought about the 3.4 tacoma motor. its more like th 1MZFE then the 3.3 . It still has a SC in prodution too. might need some custom work for mounts but it might be easier than the 3.3 when you think abouth the ECU parts of it

·
Every Day Driver
Solara 01
96 Posts
I had a better idea for a swap!!
Put in a 2.4 4 cy!!

easy to find they went in Rav4s Camrys, Solaras, and now are going in scions.
It will save you weight!Get you better perfomance, better fuel economy, and you can still get a supercharger from TRD for it that would be your best and cheapest swap. if anyone has a better idea i would like to hear it.
</IMG>

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
^ the cost of swapping a 4 cylinder motor which will be slower into his car really would not be worth the gas savings. You would probably get a similar mileage increase by swapping the auto trans for a manual.

Any swap in a solara is going to be very costly and will probably not be worth it in the end IMO.

·
Every Day Driver
Solara 01
96 Posts
^ the cost of swapping a 4 cylinder motor which will be slower into his car really would not be worth the gas savings. You would probably get a similar mileage increase by swapping the auto trans for a manual.

Any swap in a solara is going to be very costly and will probably not be worth it in the end IMO.

You are right! BUT,TRD stoped makeing S/c for the 1mzfe along time ago, so if you don't already have one your SOL.

I would be willing to bet the 2.4S/C would still be faster then the 6S/C. It has two less cylynders of drag, at least a hundred pounds in weight. I would assume that any one doing a motor swap would automaticly switch to a 5 speed as well. it would be cheaper. and get better everything. check the speck on the Tc 2.4S/C. its simalir to a solara and makes plenty of power.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
that may be true, so swapping would make sense IF you were planning to supercharge it possibly, but otherwise it doesnt make sense to downgrade. The 1mz supercharger is still fairly easy to find if you have the money, I got mine brand new last summer even though it had been discontinued for several years- they pop every month or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts