Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as the title says, does anyone know if the stock spoiler on the gen1 solara is actally functional?

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
675 Posts
probly not.....but....hey i wouldn't know for sure....Is it a lip or a low rise? if so it has some function!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
CamryWhat? said:
probly not.....but....hey i wouldn't know for sure....Is it a lip or a low rise? if so it has some function!
i use mine for holding a can of coke while i am behind the rear bumper when i am thirsty, but more for decoration.

it is the big lip kinda, about 3 or 4 inch wide.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
most spoilers isn't functional it's just for looks... like the WRX spoiler it'll create 1% of down force drag if you'r going like 150mph...

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i was just woundering cause the trunk kinda slopes down and the spoiler kinda lips up off of it

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Well in theory, as the airstream (or relative wind) runs over your car's body, the smoother it leaves, the less drag you will have.
Ever notice how the rear of your car has huge build up of dust and debris on the tail of your horseless carrage. That is where all the air your car displaces meets in a turbulant collision. Thats a vacuum, which actually slows the car down. So in essence, the add on deck spoilers and lips where supposedly to clean airflow up by evening up the flow, moving the point of turbulance farther back from the car, weakening the effect of vacuum. Wings usually are placed up high in clean airflow and are shaped like upsidedown wings. These are for downforce. There are cars (e.g. the racing Mercedes CLK-GTR) that have bodies that are designed to channel enough air over lips, wings, fences and past dams to creat huge amounts of downforce.
They take a car that has a body shape similar to ours and the make flaps and boundry fences everywhere to reverse lift.
One little tail is gonna do shit for us.

The stuff on the back of my camry and your solara?
Designed to seperate the consumer from currency.
But it looks hot..:lol:

When I was buying a Civic back in the 90s, salesman said the rear wing was $600 option as they had to retune the suspension. I was about to bop him when I thought about it, his tech salesman told him that but not the part about trunk lid springs to compensate for the added weight. That was the tuned suspension - the goddamn springs and bars in the trunk. Punk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts