Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 09/2020, I bought my 20 Camry XSE for $31,864 before tax.
On 02/2020, I decided to sell the Camry to $ave up and also had another vehicle that wasn't driven much. I tried KBB instant cash offer and it gave me an offer of $22k, (7k miles odo).
On 04/2020, I tried KBB instant cash offer again and it gave me an offer of $28.5k, and it had almost 12k miles. so I sold it back to the Toyota dealer.
Now, the dealer is trying to sell it for $35k.

Does anyone know why there was a price increase compared from Feb to Apr? with higher mileage and being 2 months older?

·
Registered
2020 SE
158 Posts
Supply & demand for used cars

Hence why the plant are pounding out these Camrys faster than dealers can sell. With this RAV4 part shortage; its only gonna cause better Camry sales in the long run. When will people ever realize how identical Camry is to a RAV4 and save few bucks in the long run????

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm not surprised. KBB tells me that my 2012 Camry SE is worth $2,000 more than it was just six months ago. I think - as others have said - it's all about a shortage of new and very desirable used cars.

·
Registered
07 Camry LE (V6), 08 Corolla LE
180 Posts
I'm not surprised. KBB tells me that my 2012 Camry SE is worth $2,000 more than it was just six months ago. I think - as others have said - it's all about a shortage of new and very desirable used cars.
My wife's 07 camry went from 3600 to 5000 on carfax price check. My 08 corolla went from 2600 to 4000. This will last for a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a used '18 Camry a few weeks ago, and because of the news reports of chip shortages and increases in used car prices, just out of curiosity I checked the same various online sites that I had checked before buying my car. The average price has jumped up in my area almost an additional 3 grand, even ones with lots of mileage and no remaining warranty, even ones with previous accident damage. It's not just Camry's either. There was a 2 grand average increase on very old Echo's and Yaris's also. 2 years ago I would've had a hard time giving it away, now it's a sellers market, at least in my area.

A salesman recently told me that they are buying and selling anything that runs good and doesn't have any major mechanical or safety issues that they can't easily fix. A year ago they weren't allowed to sell anything and when the state graciously said they were allowed start selling again, few people wanted to buy. You were either laid off or you were concerned you might be I guess. If you were forced to work from home and you didn't have to take kids to a school that wasn't open you didn't have to drive very much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Supply & demand for used cars

Hence why the plant are pounding out these Camrys faster than dealers can sell. With this RAV4 part shortage; its only gonna cause better Camry sales in the long run. When will people ever realize how identical Camry is to a RAV4 and save few bucks in the long run????
Well, thing is they are too identical. Camry is not much smaller or lighter, just somewhat better aerodynamics. Rav4 is functionally better for the dollar. But higher COG. So function vs economy and responsiveness? Most people would choose the former.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I noticed a Toyota dealership with very low stock. The parking lot was 25% full and they had cars spaced apart. There is clearly a shortage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I noticed a Toyota dealership with very low stock. The parking lot was 25% full and they had cars spaced apart. There is clearly a shortage.
Here, they have new about a dozen each of CHR, Rav4, corolla and highlanders. One each of the rest pretty much. That includes 2020 models.

·
Registered
114 Posts
On 09/2020, I bought my 20 Camry XSE for $31,864 before tax.
On 02/2020, I decided to sell the Camry to $ave up and also had another vehicle that wasn't driven much. I tried KBB instant cash offer and it gave me an offer of $22k, (7k miles odo).
On 04/2020, I tried KBB instant cash offer again and it gave me an offer of $28.5k, and it had almost 12k miles. so I sold it back to the Toyota dealer.
Now, the dealer is trying to sell it for $35k.

Does anyone know why there was a price increase compared from Feb to Apr? with higher mileage and being 2 months older?
I bought my SE for $23k plus tax and registration ($25.5 OTD), I currently have an offer for over $24k from Vroom but because of your post I tried KBB they "offered" $22.4 I received 2 emails and one call from dealers because of this inquiry I spoke with the dealership they said they routinely offer more than the KKB value but they didn't have any of the information that I input and wanted a picture vin etc... after all that they came back at $21.5k...all in all a fair offer but under the KBB "offer" and over $2600 less than Vroom.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it's due to the chip shortage. That's increasing both new and used prices.
Not exactly that.
Toyota is one of a few companies on the market that requires suppliers to keep parts in their rreserve inventory for at least 6 months. This means that shortage are not there for at least that time. I am sure that Toyota has 2-3 other alternative suppliers on the books.
The reason why RAV4 production is delayed is bc supplier's personnell fell sick of Covid, and not bc of chip shortage. Just read Automotive News of April 29th:

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
355 Posts
is there something like that for canadians?

·
Registered
2020 SE
158 Posts
Toyota is one of a few companies on the market that requires suppliers to keep parts in their rreserve inventory for at least 6 months. This means that shortage are not there for at least that time. I am sure that Toyota has 2-3 other alternative suppliers on the books.
The reason why RAV4 production is delayed is bc supplier's personnell fell sick of Covid, and not bc of chip shortage. Just read Automotive News of April 29th:
There's been plenty of part shortages that the public isn't aware. Mainly, the ice storm in Texas caused LOT of issues for Toyota.

It's been small parts here and there. Either been a delay that forces production to be limited or no production at all. Yes, Camry plant did had three weeks limited production that wasn't in the news. Yeah; it ticked off LOT of employees for overtime.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Carmax, Carvana and the like are offering insanely good trade in prices, so they are trying to buy the cars away from the franchise dealers and control the used market.

BTW, the OP's dates just look wrong IMO (9/20 before 2/20?)
I been seeing videos pop about how people are all selling the car to Carvana, instantly knew what was up. I remember 5-10 years ago if you look up for a used car tons of private sellers asking for less then what a dealer would want but they make more then the dealer would give them. Carvana comes in and say hay we give you this much and you don't have to bother with anyone else. No real shortage of used cars except for Carvana making it that way.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Now, I`ll definitely buy my lease at the end of it. That buy price is looking awesome comparing to the market madness currently going on for these cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts