Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004IS300/2011Venza
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new to this forum, but I scavenged some help from here and figured I would give back with my experience solving a problem related to the VVT Oil Control Valves.

I have a 2011 Venza, V6 (76k miles). I bought the car about 2 months ago from a Toyota dealer. I'm the 3rd owner. It was sold to the 2nd owner in Feb. 2014 as a certified used vehicle.

CEL, AWD and traction control lights lit up the other day and "Check VSC System" was shown in the display.

Scanning OBDII code reported P0015 Bank 1 Camshaft B (exhaust) position timing over-retarded. Code would come back *immediately* if I cleared it. (Keep reading to see where P0011 comes into the picture.)

I hunted around and decided to replace the Bank 1 Exhaust Cam OCV (oil control valve).
p/n 15330-0P020 ($135 at my local Toyota dealer, in stock)

This is the hardest OCV to get to on the 2GR-FE engine. It requires removing the intake manifold (surge tank). These are the best resources I found for background on getting to this OCV...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...30288-bank-1-bank-2-vvti-2008-highlander.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26LIECaPzXo

I'll summarize disassembly. There are various hoses and connectors to disconnect as you go. Remove for access as needed but keep track of your steps.
1) intake tube (2 hose clamps)
2) throttle body (4 10mm bolts)
3) 2 intake manifold brackets (12mm. These are done blind, located next to the firewall. You need to move the main ECU wire bundle to get at the LH side bolt)
4) intake manifold (4 6mm hex bolts and 2 10mm nuts at the engine interface)
5) loosen main wire harness (3 10mm bolts, some connectors)
6) remove OCV (10mm)
done!

The OCV itself is quite easy to pull out once the 10mm bolt is removed. Give it a slight twist to crack it loose and gently pull straight out.

Diagnostics: I lit the removed OCV with 12V to check operation. It moved, but sometimes it seemed to hesitate like it was sticking. (Solenoids are supposed to fire with a sharp 'click'.) I also checked resistance and it measured 8ohms. The replacement also measured @ 8ohms.

Reassembled everything, reset OBD codes, and was disappointed to see I got P0011 right away. P0011 is for Bank 1 Intake Cam OCV. (I'll note too that P0011 also came with a flood of P030x codes. This is because when intake timing is off it'll cause misfires. Don't be concerned with the P030x codes, it is P0011 that is the root cause.)

I was second guessing myself at this point, but I went ahead and removed Bank 1 Intake OCV. The good news is that there is access to remove this OCV without removing the intake manifold. You need a long 10mm socket and a magnet to pickup the OCV bracket bolt once loose. There is just barely enough room to pull the OCV straight up and out between the wire harness and intake manifold (requires a little finaggling). And that's it. Just 1 bolt.

I lit this OCV with 12V also and saw that it was traveling only about 50% of full throw, was hesitating, and didn't fire with any authority. I also noted that the resistance of this OCV measured only 3ohm. Definitely bad. Not sure why I wasn't getting P0011 at the beginning of this episode... maybe coincidence. I bought...
p/n 15330-0P030 ($135)

Reinstalled OCV and 10mm bolt. Reconnect connector, clear OBD codes, and went for a drive. All codes stayed clear.

I speculated that maybe a previous owner was using non-synthetic oil and stretching the oil change intervals, but neither of the broken OCVs looked particularly caked with oil or otherwise contaminated. I tried cleaning the original Bank 1 exhaust OCV with brake cleaner, but no change in bench performance. Suspect maybe they're just weak components.

Hope this helps somebody. I'm subscribed if anybody has questions.

·
Registered
2004IS300/2011Venza
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. That thread is about a Cam Position Sensor (prox sensors). My problem was the Oil Control Valves (solenoids).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your thread. 2013 Corolla, P0011, CEL and TRAC OFF showing. Followed your steps to check OCVs. Clean, 8ohms, test fired. Did u check the power supply at the harness? Wondering what reading to check for there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts