Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Black T-Rex
1998 Toyota T-100
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since I had such a hard time getting the clevis off my original brake booster pushrod when needing to transfer it to a remanufactured booster I was installing, I figured I'd write up what I did for reference if anyone else comes to the forum looking for tips on this issue.

Essentially, my clevis was seized on the threaded pushrod and I was originally pretty confused on if the clevis was attached to the nut under it or if the nut and the clevis were two different parts. Turns out they are two different parts. Because using vice grips to try to immobilize the pushrod and then using the vice grips as a source of leverage when trying to unscrew the clevis was such a massive failure for me, I'd recommend simply using the open-ended side of a 14 mm wrench on the pushrod nut and then slipping a long socket wrench extension through the eyelet of the clevis to get a lot of leverage and pulling from there. Mine was so seized that I had to leave it soaking in PB Blaster overnight and then had a partner brace the 14 mm wrench while I pulled on the long socket extension.

The booster with the clevis and nut still attached to the pushrod (on the bottom left of the photo):

The clevis and booster after the clevis was removed. Use a long 1/4 inch socket wrench extension and put it through the hole in the clevis to help generate enough leverage to break up the rust on the threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to hop on and say thank you! I just received the second replacement booster that the pin doesn’t fit. I took a shot at removing the clevis but it was so difficult I started to doubt it was possible. Thank you for assuaging that doubt and helping me understand how to do the swap.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,126 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

·
Black T-Rex
1998 Toyota T-100
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear that you found my writeup helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts