Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have severeal questions for you guys and im going to do my best to ask them this early in the morning.

I just recently bought another tacoma, this time a 4banger with the 2.7L engine and im baffled at what the hell im going to do with it. Im coming off an accident that cost me my last truck which just so happened to be a Tac TRD and im just not getting used to this truck as easily as i thought i would.

My issues with the truck are as follows:
1- First and foremost, the biggest issue i have is the stock wheels/tires that this truck comes with. 5 lug 15" that make it look like a clown car. I swear i thought they were spares when i saw them. I wanna get the pre runner 6lug wheels and tires on the truck but i dont know if they will fit and how much it will end up costing me. If anyone can gimme some input on this part i would love it.

2- The engine is great , dont get me wrong. But coming off a 6 cylinder, i think i just expect more when i push the pedal. I drive with a heavy foot and i like to car to respond as such. I know its a 4 banger but i wanna get the most out of it that i can. I believe that trruck has 159HP. I have already added a gibson exhaust, which i really enjoy purely because i can hear the car running now. Im also thinking of getting a K&N air intake and new headers (its hard finding the headers for this engine). I would like to get feedback from you guys as to whether these investements would be worth it... if not , it leads me to my next question

Should i just keep the truck stock and sell it in a few months for maybe another tacoma or silverado or even calarado? i dont want it to come to this but i know that if i do sell it there is no sence in puttin money into it so i have to make my choice now.

Basically if wat it boils down to is i want to make the truck look and perform great. Any and all suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've got the same truck maybe? 4cyl 5lug accesscab. I picked up some factory XRunner wheels (18x8) which I hope will cure some of the goofy stock wheel look. As far as performance, sounds like you've done all there is for now-apparently the intake (k/n) benefits are questionable, at best? I'm keping mine, cause it's all I can afford, but in a perfect world, I'd have a superwhite XRunner, without the ground effects...

EDIT: as par as "appearance", I've debadged, and colormatched as much as I can (grill, door handles, rear bumper), and I can't lower it any due to working out of it, and the "not a county maintained road" that I live on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how would i go about swappijn the 5 lugs for the 6lug tires. how much would the conversion kit for it cost, and where can i get one

·
Registered
641 Posts
sdmatt said:
how would i go about swappijn the 5 lugs for the 6lug tires. how much would the conversion kit for it cost, and where can i get one
IMO,not worth the hassle, if it's even possible; I'd try to find some 5 lug rims (in whatever diameter) you like. For the cost of adaption+rims/tires, you could easily find something...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 4-cylinder extended cab, 5-speed manual. On the way home it became obvious that this engine was undersized for my purposes. We like in western NC mountains, so all roads are hilly. I had to downshift constantly. I immediatly contacted the dealer and worked out a very nice deal to upgrade to the V6. VERY GLAD I DID THAT! No problems with most hills in 6th gear!

I've owned other Toyota 4-cylinder trucks, but this is the only one that seemed sluggish. I believe they are making the trucks bigger, and keeping the engine the same??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim how did u manage to upgrade to a 6 banger. Ill pay for your flight out here to negotiate with the pricks at my toyota dealer for me.

but i decided that im gonna get the K&n and keep the truck for 3-4 months then get a colorado with the inline 5cyl.

thx guys

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
sdmatt said:
Jim how did u manage to upgrade to a 6 banger. Ill pay for your flight out here to negotiate with the pricks at my toyota dealer for me.

but i decided that im gonna get the K&n and keep the truck for 3-4 months then get a colorado with the inline 5cyl.

thx guys

The Colorado 5 cyl has some HP compared to the 6 cyl?:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
sdmatt said:
I think they were just glad to get another sale under their belt. The sales manager said he would have a very hard time selling a vehicle with 700 miles on it (everybody would want to know "what's wrong with it"), so he would probably use it for a demo. We did have to pay a little extra, but with all the additional accessories and options, such as towing package, limited slip rear end, etc, it ended up costing about $2000 more. Not bad in my opinion, for what we really wanted. Plus, we got the color we really wanted, Impulse Red.:cool:

·
Registered
06 V6 DC TRD Sport
259 Posts
The inline 5 is a POS. They (GM) have yet to fix all the issues for the whole truck. I Live in AZ 3.5 miles form the GM Desert proving Grounds and friends that work there just laugh at the truck. I did some work on them in late 03 and 04 when I worked there and it was sad to see GM produce a real CLOWN CAR. Trade up or accecpt what u have because you wont be happy with the Colorado imo.

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
def do not buy the colorado, if your gonna go chevy go silverado, but its better to upgrade to the 6cyl tacoma cause its a better truck in my opionion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jredneck480 said:
def do not buy the colorado, if your gonna go chevy go silverado, but its better to upgrade to the 6cyl tacoma cause its a better truck in my opionion
I agree! The Tacoma with V6 is pretty peppy! I was very impressed!:cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
the tacoma v6 is the balls, it wants to play..hard to keep your foot out of it..excellent accel on hiway for getting out therewas doing 70 the other day, matted it..right up to 95 in a heartbeat..the way to go
i was driving small chevy/gmc for a long time, however when they put a straight 5 init..that ended that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts