Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, need some help with axles, replacing the passenger side on a 90 prizm. i got a 5-speed. so is there anything i should know? i need to replace both sides, but the drivers side isn';t as bad popping right now so i was going to wait.
ok, questions, do i need to drain my transmission fluid before i get the axles out? on either side? i just changed transmission fluid, so if i do i want to try to catch it all and just put it back in there, with my extra, or maybe buy 1 quart more.
ok so where im as so far. everythings off on passenger side, but the axle wont coem out. i can borrow the tool at the store, an axle puller. so since im borrowing that tool, how about the drivers side axle? i heard it was hard too. does the axle puller, aslo install? is there anything extra i need to do, to pull off the drivers side axle? the passenger side it was just, remove axle nut, tie rod upper bolt, then the 3 bolts, nuts holding the lower control arm to the ball joint, the sliding it over, tire off, and theres the axle hanging. axle nut, tire, upper side tie rod nut, 3 bolts nuts holding lower control arm to ball joint. then getting the axle out. took a piece of wood and wedged behind it and pushed it with foot, until the wood broke, the axle wont come out.
so any difference in the drivers side? not much difference in work? should if i want to save my gear oil, go ahead and drain it out now? or hell just go get some coastal oil or somethign? is it goign to leak? and do i just need some extra, and top if off after im done?

thanks for any help and i need some help kinda quick, cars outside, and i need to get it done so i can get out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I changed my drivers side CV about a year ago.
You should drain the tranny, when you pop the CV out it will piss oil out.
I would not recommend reusing your oil, its cheap just buy some.
I took the tire off, then took the center CV bolt (big one on the center of the tire), then took the 2 lower strut tower bolts off, then the steering knuckle dropped down, I was then able to pull the outter CV out from the knuckle, I then stuck a large flathead screw driver between the tranny and the inner CV (there is a little c clip that holds the CV into the tranny), then popped it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. finally got it, took 2 people and both of us prying for about 3-4 minutes, i had a foot long pry bar and they had a 2 foot long one. yea and oil comes out.
oh so they used honda rims on it. well, thats real fun, cause they popped around, and bent up the thing they go around on. so i had to use bolts to pry the old one off, cauise they didn't push the piston down flat, and brake pad ran out on the other side, then i have to put the lug nuts on backwards, flat, and impact them down on a new rotor to push them in, to get the rotor back down on flat, where its goign around straight. dont use rims if they dont fit what a bunch of ssshhh iiiittt.
so dont use rkims that dont fit, unless you want messed up stuff. i did get the rims back down, after about 15 minutes of going around and around on the rotors and lug nuts until they wouldnt go down anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts