Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So im a big fan of the 4 gen camrys. All my friends were telling me to get i honda and i said nah. Then i got a 2001 v6 the 1mzfe and man let me tell u i never looked back. So i feel it cant stop here. So my question AWD how hard would it be. I know it can done i wanna say my awd setup from my 2004 toyota sienna would work. Of course fabrication is gonna be needed. But the kicker is can it b done manaul. And as far as ecu what would i do. I know this might be a little crazy but can someone help me connect the pieces. Not literally but maybe let me onow what i would need. And trust me im not a master mechanic these are all just theories

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
576 Posts
NO, as VANGM25 has said. Anyway, the cost in doing it even if you got close would far outweigh the value of the vehicle, as it stands now I would pay more than $500 for a gen 4.

Just a quick question how would you even get the front and rear-drive components in the Gen 4 setup. Where are you going to place the driveshaft back to the rear wheels, there really is no tunnel to put it in. There are so many problems even before you get to trying to put an ECU from another vehicle into the one you have.

Let me guess that you are probably in your early 20's. So advice, save your money for a few years, buy a car with all the options you want stock, leave it that way for the most part, and save your cash, do you really want to be old and poor because of ridiculous projects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO, as VANGM25 has said. Anyway, the cost in doing it even if you got close would far outweigh the value of the vehicle, as it stands now I would pay more than $500 for a gen 4.

Just a quick question how would you even get the front and rear-drive components in the Gen 4 setup. Where are you going to place the driveshaft back to the rear wheels, there really is no tunnel to put it in. There are so many problems even before you get to trying to put an ECU from another vehicle into the one you have.

Let me guess that you are probably in your early 20's. So advice, save your money for a few years, buy a car with all the options you want stock, leave it that way for the most part, and save your cash, do you really want to be old and poor because of ridiculous projects.
Alrite i understand the cost.i was thinking of making it a project. How often do u see a 4 gen awd camry not many. Thought it would b kool. A lot of japanes items we dnt have here and man i can imagine it would pull a whole lot better. So my idea would be to fabricate the exhaust to the fenders use the exhaust line. Of course cut a little and kinda go from there. Now thinking relocate the fuel tank. And age is 27. Trust me i got a family. I wouldnt go outta my way just to make this build happen. Just thought it would b kool and some people would be able to help me out on here. And for an ecu i was thinkimg something like an ecu from rx300 and maybe try to tune it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car
This is my vehicle

·
Administrator
14,716 Posts
There is a guy on YouTube who’s converted a Gen3 (?) Camry to AWD. There is a tunnel for the exhaust, which is shared with the driveshaft.

Be prepared to spend roughly $10k - $20k on parts, and another $5k on welders, plasma cutters, and misc other tools you may or may not already have.

In the end, you’ll have a lot of time and money invested in a Camry that 99% of people don’t care about, and would never consider buying from you when you’re tired of it. But if you plan on keeping it forever, have at it.

·
Administrator
14,716 Posts
Final found the YouTube videos. The YouTube’ers name is Broxon Brookfield. He’s up to part 32 in his videos.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,342 Posts
"Somebody please tell me it can be done"

OK, it can be done. Happy?

·
500,000 + Miles
2000 Solara
664 Posts
I gotta ask what is the attraction to having AWD since, in my opinion, having the front wheels pulling with the weight of the engine sitting on them is where you get all the traction anyway?
I love front wheel drive! I just don't see much benefit in including the rear wheels since there is very little weight back there....course it would be heavier back there with the added drive train I guess but then you are adding weight to the car and now the engine power isn't as effective. I'm not trying to throw water on your idea, just wondering what you are wanting to significantly improve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a guy on YouTube who’s converted a Gen3 (?) Camry to AWD. There is a tunnel for the exhaust, which is shared with the driveshaft.

Be prepared to spend roughly $10k - $20k on parts, and another $5k on welders, plasma cutters, and misc other tools you may or may not already have.

In the end, you’ll have a lot of time and money invested in a Camry that 99% of people don’t care about, and would never consider buying from you when you’re tired of it. But if you plan on keeping it forever, have at it.
Thanks really appreciate the help. Plan on keeping the car forever.
Step 1 is get a different car for your daily, unless you can live without this one for a couple years.
Yes i have other vehicles And started aqcuiring random pieces i thought might need

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I gotta ask what is the attraction to having AWD since, in my opinion, having the front wheels pulling with the weight of the engine sitting on them is where you get all the traction anyway?
I love front wheel drive! I just don't see much benefit in including the rear wheels since there is very little weight back there....course it would be heavier back there with the added drive train I guess but then you are adding weight to the car and now the engine power isn't as effective. I'm not trying to throw water on your idea, just wondering what you are wanting to significantly improve.
Power to all wheels maybe drift. Just wanted to be different. Trust me anyone can go out and get any vehicle with good credit. I want something different and i really like toyotas especially the 4th gen so i thought why not
Final found the YouTube videos. The YouTube’ers name is Broxon Brookfield. He’s up to part 32 in his videos.
Just wanna say really appreciate the videos. Anything is possible. Thanks man

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,653 Posts
Anything is possible. I am just doubtful that you are able to make what you want a reality.

It's not just what you know and can do, it's who you know. Just watch an episode of Mighty Car Mods, Roadkill, Dirt Every Day, or anything else related and if you are able to do what they can do. Go for it. If not, don't.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts