Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was hit while parking in the mall last week. The girl gladly left a note and the damage is est. $400 ( I took it to 3 shops for est). Now she called me saying she has a good friend that works for a body shop but he said he can do it on the side and charge significally less. I feel kinda bad if I tell no , and ask the $400 where who knows, this guy could charge under $200. What documents or proof or licenses, should I write down if I go thru this guy who does work on the side.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
what kind of damage is it? for 400bucks, it can't be much.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You've gotta be carefull about the side job guy unless it's a nice simple fix that you would almost be willing to do yourself. I've seen a LOT of bad body work. At least with a pro shop you have someone to go back to if you're not happy with the work.

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
she hit you right? tell her that you want the $400 (or more) in cash so you can take it to fix it at your body shop. then take it to a place that you are comfortable with so you know it will be fixed right, or if its not that bad of damage and you can live with it. pocket the money.

·
08 XR
Matrix XR
672 Posts
dude, take the $400, you have a 2006 xrs, i doubt you want it to look like shit even if she promises her friend can do a quality job on the side

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
No no no!! That screams shady backyard hack. Get the full $400 -- YOU pick the shop and get it fixed the right way.

BTW, did you get a police report? Your state may not require them. But in some states you have to have one before any work can be started.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a small scrape on the back left bumper. i guess she over estimated backing up. a paint job of $200 would seal the deal but they found a mis aligned bumper (not noticable really) so that adds to $400. i guess they have to take a part and everything . her insurance is $500 deduct. so it would be $400, plus it wont go on driving record, insurance record. thanks for all the advicel

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I don't know about CA but usually detuctables only apply to your own car. Here in MA, even with the most basic coverage, if I hit someone else, there is no detuctable for the damage to their car. The rates will go up however.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
it works the same here.

Remember cat, she hit YOUR car. You take it where you want it to go. Dont do her any favors.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Deuce said:
it works the same here.

Remember cat, she hit YOUR car. You take it where you want it to go. Dont do her any favors.
I agree 100% Not only that, but she hit your PARKED car.

On a side note, I drive a full sized extended cab truck and I have yet to hit anything with it, it amazes me how poor some people's driving skills are.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
go through her insurance...otherwise you'll PROBABLY end up with no money and a scraped car. insurance exists for a reason...take full advantage of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts