Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, the culprit scratched my driver's door with a key or something. Never had this happen to me until now. A neighbor also had his car keyed, almost a year ago. And we both live in a pretty decent neighborhood.

This really sucks because getting such a scratch repaired in an auto body shop can be very costly.

The scratch on my car is about a foot long.

It's not very deep but you can feel it with your fingernail.

When something like this happens, do most people go to an auto body shop to get it fixed? Or do some simply try the various DIY methods on YouTube?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,261 Posts
I would probably use the Turtle Wax Pen and seal the scratch then I may use touchup paint. Not pretty but cheap because I sure don't got money. Taking it to a bodyshop is still recommended. As long as the scratch does not rust I will be happy...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a lot of googling, these are my top scratch removal DIY links:

Has anyone ever tried any of the above methods?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,261 Posts
For my experience, you either have a scratch or A SCRATCH. Depends on how deep it is.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Once you can feel it with a fingernail, its going to require a touch up. Probably a two part paint, factory touch up paint is best, apply color then sand with very fine paper like 1500-2000 grit, leaving only the paint that actually fills the scratch, then the clear top coat, sand that again and the polish and wax, of course after it dries every time paint is applied.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends on youre expertise and patience. In my case id probably create a bigger problem than the original, if it was mine id take it to a body shop. Sone people are a wiz at body work, not me.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Depends on youre expertise and patience. In my case id probably create a bigger problem than the original, if it was mine id take it to a body shop. Sone people are a wiz at body work, not me.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Me neither .. everything I have ever done with paint has been disaster. Factory touch up is unsightly blob and any light sanding makes it worse... My $300 bill at the body shop was a bargain and a superb job... I would try an insurance claim for a big crime......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts