Toyota Nation Forum banner

Something didn't feel right decided to get an alignment

1686 Views 24 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  cooptoyorginal
Toyota Dealership had a special on 4-wheel alignment. With brand new tires decided to go ahead and just get it done. My question is when I hit that piece of cinder block it ripped the old back passanger tire, did it seriously knock the alignment off? It hit both front and rear passenger side tires so why didn't the front right alignment get knocked off too?
Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Rectangle
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
That would depend very much on how the cinder block came in contact with the vehicle.
If it had just hit the tires, chances are the alignment wouldn't have been affected, and those adjustments were off beforehand.
If you had done an alignment before you hit the cinder block and then you did another afterwards, and the readings are off, then you can conclude that it was caused by hitting the cinder block!
Otherwise, it may not be related!

· Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
4,632 Posts
Like has been mentioned, alignment could have had some "off" prior, and eventually will drift off due to bumps, holes, curbs, whatever. Unless you had alignment readings immediately before and after, best thing you can say now is you are currently within specs for all four wheels.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Dealer recommended this service. Are they saying my system has moldy issues?
Maybe they are saying you are stinky! 🤣 Just kidding!

Dealers always have specials going on, and they will always put them on the invoice whether you need them or not!
Only you can determine if your car needs the service or not; is your car cover with tree saps and debris? Those are the items that can cause moldy issues.

· Registered
206 Posts
Curb shots, pot holes, speed bumps, and other unwanted impacts at the wheels CAN mess up your alignment, but doesn't necessarily guarantee that it WILL mess it up. Your car is a couple years old now. Things like springs and bushings have worn in or broken in and have taken a new set position. They're not bad parts, but they've changed enough over time to change the alignment as is. Any affect pot holes and speed bumps might have had could have been cumulative over these last couple years.

All in all, the alignment sheet suggests the car is just fine and needed some very minor adjustment to the toe. It's good preventative maintenance to help get more miles out of those new tires.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does your car have a musty smell from the AC? If you do, that's why they flagged it. If not, that is just a way to get you to open your wallet.
Doesn't smell musty but not new anymore. I've switch circulate over to the outside air heard that helps keep hvac dry. Is there a DIY way of doing this service?

· 19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
8,380 Posts

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,228 Posts

There’s videos on YouTube to clean the ac drain tube. Not sure if your model is accessible from the front passenger seat.

· Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Doesn't smell musty but not new anymore. I've switch circulate over to the outside air heard that helps keep hvac dry. Is there a DIY way of doing this service?
Good call on both: alignment and doing something for the smell.

Alignment overall toe is in spec and you shouldn't have felt any pull based on those numbers, but after your incident and getting new tires it was not money wasted to do it...

For the AC smell, recirc on is recommended during cool-down period to get cabin cool quickly, and then after a few minutes to turn recirc off to prevent mold buildup. Some Lexus models have smart AC system where the first few minutes are recirc and blowing to feet so that initial smell, if any, doesn't hit the passengers in face. And it would turn off recirc after 10 minutes automatically.

So my recommendation is to keep recirc on only for a few minutes until cabin cools off and then switch recirc off, and turn back on if needed and cycle like that.

There’s videos on YouTube to clean the ac drain tube. Not sure if your model is accessible from the front passenger seat.
What I've done with my older cars is pull the filter out, get a can of Lysol spray with straw and through the filter space spray directly onto evaporator, turn recirc off and repeat with fan on low. That would kill the smell quite a bit, and I used to do it when changing the cabin filter once a year or every other depending on how hot the summers were...

· Long-haired Southern-Squidbillie
2004 Camry 2AZ engine; 2018 Camry LE
237 Posts
The "before" alignment measurement was biased by the Steer Ahead angle; if it had been set to zero then the right side data would have shown the block hit.

· Catanzaro
271 Posts
Dealer recommended this service. Are they saying my system has moldy issues?
View attachment 406966
I took a can of lysol and spray the vents near the hood with the AC full blast and fresh air coming from the outside. It went through the system, and then after 10 minutes I placed on recirculate. It removed all the smoke smells and odors and never came back. They make special cans as well for inside removing odors. Not too much Lysol. This was a friends car as I do not smoke. Dealers are notorious for maintenance that is not needed. My oldest 2019 Mazda 3 came back with $500 worth of maintenance, injector cleaners, and services that are clearly not needed. It went in for a basic oil change.

· Registered
2007 Tacoma Base
161 Posts
I hit that piece of cinder block it ripped the old back passanger tire, did it seriously knock the alignment off?
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Temporal correlations are all too often entirely independent of observed events.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc is the Latin name of a common fallacy (i.e. a bad argument) in academic writing. Also known as ‘assuming the cause’, it arises when we get confused about what causes something. For more on what this fallacy involves and how to avoid it in your writing, read on below.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts