Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla. The warranty went out in August 2005. About two months ago, a neighbor of mine called me in the morning telling me that my lights were on. When I went to the car the lights were already off but the battery was dead. I replaced a battery and, thinking that I caused the problem, I checked everything really carefully the following evening. I even went to the car a few hours later and everything seemed fine. The next morning I experienced the same problem.

Then it was fine for over a month and then it happened again two days in a row. I thought that it was the faulty Twilight Sentinnel which was turning my headlights on at night. I called the dealership and was told that they had no idea what the problem could be. I called the Toyota company I got the same answer. I did some research on the internet and learned that it could be related to the DRL, therefore I disabled them by moving up the manual break by one notch. A week ago it happened again. And worked fine for about a week.

Because I have no idea what triggers it, I check on the car several times in the evening and I wake up early in the mornings to make sure that I would be able to get to work on time.

It happened this morning again. What is weird, as soon the engine was jumped, the lights went on (this time front and back) and there is no way to turn them off. I left the car running for about one hour.

About a week ago I called a mechanic who told me that he didn’t know what was the problem and he couldn’t check it because he would have to do it when it happens and since it is happening on the irregular basis he couldn’t do it.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,675 Posts
I'm not sure if the Corolla has this option, but some cars have a safety option that leaves your lights on for a brief moment at night so that you can walk to your house and open your door, etc, etc and then the lights would turn off eventually on their own. My GF's old Chrysler Intrepid had this, it was more annoying than useful really; specially when you live in a building and your car is parked facing the wrong way. :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
REN69 said:
I'm not sure if the Corolla has this option, but some cars have a safety option that leaves your lights on for a brief moment at night so that you can walk to your house and open your door, etc, etc and then the lights would turn off eventually on their own. My GF's old Chrysler Intrepid had this, it was more annoying than useful really; specially when you live in a building and your car is parked facing the wrong way. :lol:
No, this is not the case. I have the Twilight Sentinnel which turns the lights on when it's dark and DRL. Each time I checked the lights and they were off. I also walk to the car a few times after parking to make sure they are off.

I know that they were turned on only because my neighbors called. One morning, I got a phone call around 5:30 am and I was actually able to start the car which probably means that the lights were not on for a very long time. In other cases - the battery was drained.

I don't have the alarm or LoJack.

It doesn't happen every night - so far happened about 6 times since September. However, it is annoying. Recently, I wake up earlier only to check on the car because I don't want to be late at work.

The battery is new and, sisce I live In Texas, there is no really freezing weather.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This was a problem with the 03 rolla. Yes the dealer knows about it. My co-worker's wife has one and every night he goes home, he finds the headlights on. No tails, just heads. If he pushes the headlight switch forward it goes off(car off @this time). He took it to the dealer today and explained the problem. They said "03 right?" He says yes, There is a known problem. Just like dana2592, his warranty expired in august. The relay is the problem, it has to be ordered at the tune of over $300.00 plus labor. His extended warranty does not cover it. So he is stuck with the bill. They knew about this problem for a while and issued no TSB's or anything. I advised him to call a customer service center and explain the problem. Anybody else with issue should do the same. Maybe they can give up the part for free and all is paid for is just labor. Sounds fair?? I'll try and update this post. Maybe this part can be found cheaper online??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.