Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
VIP
95 MR2
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends 92 MR2 N/A model ran fine until days ago. As we were taking it out of the garage, we both heard a big rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. Then we saw a good amount of oil or some fluid leaking under. We were shoked and checked everything we can. OIL checked good. Still full and good. TRANNY fluid checked good and no leaks from there. Checked oil filter which was good and tight... We think its from the heads or valves but we can't find where the leak is coming from. The black stuff leaking isnt oil becuase it didnt smell like oil and it was black. The oil in the car is new so there would be a color difference. We checked the fanbelts- turned out good. Timing belt is good because car moves and drives. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE??? HELP!!!!!1

·
Registered
26 Posts
My best guess is a head gasket....

·
VIP
95 MR2
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me and my friend finally found the problem!! What went wrong was the water pump. The black fluid leaking was actually dirty colored coolant. We knew it was coolant by the smell. The reason there is a rattle is that the water pump bearing went bad and got mixed with fluid so it is loose and needs to be replaced. There is nothing wrong with my engine at all.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
AH... no engine damage is a very good thing :D. Glad to hear it turned out well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts