Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was backed into at an intersection last Sunday. His insurance called and said they took full responsibility:). My bumper has a crease in it, the plastic is deformed, so it'll need a new bumper, paint etc to do a good repair (Bondo is icky...). I'm taking it in to the body shop tomorrow. Now, I am hoping to get a new car for graduation, but that depends on getting good scholorships for college next year etc, so it is most definitely not a sure thing. Now, I have four choices.

1. Get it repaired
2. Take the cash settlement, fix it myself.
3. Take the cash, buy new shocks and springs (Needed more than the bumper I must admit... The bumper doesn't look too bad, it will just cost a good bit to fix. My shocks and springs are horrid... I care about driving more than looks)
4. Take the cash, keep it, maybe use some of it for the car. I am broke, but if I don't spend it on the car and do get a new car, it may cause problems with my brother, who gets the car after me.

What do you think? I'm leaning toward some Tokico Blues and Ebiachs.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Personally, if it was me, I'd do 2 things. Fix the bumper myself with a color matched bumper form the junkyard ($100, and say $15 for new clips), and go with KYB GR2 struts and Eibach's (my current setup). Also, if your Strut Mounts are original, replace those as well. If you have some car knowledge, I'd say do that all yourself as well. :)

~Adam

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One question, my car's paint isn't in primo condition, if I were to do it myself, how much would it cost to paint the bumper if I can't find one that matches? I have access to a paint booth.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Unless your Top Notch in painting, I'd shy against doing it yourself. What color and year is your car?

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the gold. I can get my shop teacher to help me paint it, I've seen his paint jobs and have been impressed. Last year he fixed an older prelude, it had a smashed rear quarter panel. He cut it out from halfway back from the front of the door (Mid doorframe) and to just shy of the middle of the trunk, and spliced in a new piece and when he was done and had it painted I couldn't tell it had ever been wrecked. He's basically a pro.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
you are forgetting though, unless your car has been garaged it;s ENTIRE life, the paint will be faded (especially since your in cali and have sun), and will not match the rest of the car, unless it is faded in, which is very time consuming. IF he can do that, then I say definatley go for it. The paint itself is not too expensive,a nd you have the most common color Camry. Also, remember you will need clearcoat since you have a Metallic paint.

But yeah, if he's that good, I'd say go with him paining it. :)

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I'll ask him. I think the car has had paint work before, I took it in for an estimate on fixing the door paint (Had a little mishap) and he said that by the looks of it it wasn't just faded but that some parts of the car were damaged during shipping and the dealer just threw on a quickie paint job to cover it up. The hood paint has visible lines from the paint gun (Like when you see spray paint paint jobs, just not as bad)

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I would just take the money if its a good amount. In December a guy backed up into me and dented the door, but I kept the $1300 and im just living with the dent.

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may do that, of course, if it only costs $600 for the shocks/springs (I will install them myself), and the check is for $1300, that's still $700 to keep.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Remember though, Strut mounts and sway bar links will likely need replacing. :)

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ That BETTER have been with instalation included, or you got ripped.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
ASG14 said:
^ That BETTER have been with instalation included, or you got ripped.
*looks back at records*

It was $189 for the front passenger strut, $169 for mount and bearing. + $70 labor.

I cant recall what it was for the rears, but it was less for the left and right side then it was for the front.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
KYB GR-2 Strut Front Left fitment
In Stock 1 $77.00 $77.00
KYB GR-2 Strut Front Right fitment
In Stock 1 $77.00 $77.00
KYB GR-2 Strut Rear Left fitment
In Stock 1 $64.00 $64.00
KYB GR-2 Strut Rear Right fitment
In Stock 1 $64.00 $64.00
Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set Front and Rear fitment
In Stock 1 $220.00 $220.00

+ shipping

Additional Fees and Taxes
Tax: $0.00
Excise Tax: $0.00
State Waste Tire Fund Fee: $0.00
Grand Total: $555.64

Toyota OEM from Dealer online (several diff types, type take is the MORE expensive one. you may have the lower priced one):
Front:
Strut mount, avalon - camry, corolla, avalon - CAMRY, COROLLA, AVALON 95-96 List=$85.74Price=$65.16x2=$130.32

Rear:
Strut mount, corolla, right - avalon, camry, corolla 1995-02 - AVALON, CAMRY, COROLLA 1995-02 95-97 List=$104.97 Price=$79.78x2=159.56

$130.32+$159.56=$289.88 (Say $310 with shipping). Remember, those are for the HIGHER priced ones. Your car may use the cheaper ones.

$555.64 (Struts AND lowering springs)+$310 (Mounts)=$865.64. And without the lowering springs, if you use the OEM ones you have, take $235 off that price. and Throw in new Sway Bar end links and sway bar bushings.

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I have to go to another body shop to get a second opinion, they tried to screw me. My dad likes the shop, but somehow he got it out of me that there was previous damage (I suck at lying, even when it's just stretching the truth...) and that I might have other plans for the money (I wanted to make sure that the rate wasn't some special thing for the insurance comapany because they were the ones that sent me to that shop. I didn't want to get the check, take it in and have them try to charge me more.) Anyway, it's the law that I can have it fixed wherever I like, so I'm taking it in and getting some second opinions.

He said that because there was previous damage that they couldn't replace the bumper cover. Bull crap! It needs fixing because it was backed into, the paint wasn't messed up like that before. I talked to my autoshop teacher and he said that the cracks that were there before would cause problems once it was painted, and that a proper repair would need the bumper cover replaced. So I'm off to get unscrewed...

·
G-ma Car? That's Right.
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's pretty much all figured out. I'm getting (tentatively, the body shop said they had to call in to see about something before they could change anything) $560. Since the bumper was "damaged" before the accident, they don't want to replace it. They just want to use filler to fix the front part and leave the part that's damaged below where the car hit the way it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts