Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I was attempting to install the exact fit seat covers in my Gen5, and was unsuccessful. I'm still trying to find a way to get the velcro straps under the back seat. Was able to remove the LATCH backets for kids' car seats, but still can't get under that back seat.

Anyways, while I was back there with the seatbacks folder forward, I noticed and was able to remove an approximately 4 foot piece of molded foam sound insulation. That's pretty cool that they would think ahead enough (normal Toyota) to attempt to insulate any sound coming through the trunk area. I didn't expect to find something like that, and it got me curious.
I went on a treasure hunt and was able to find thorough Sound deadening insulation in the engine comparment, hood (including weather strip), firewall, and get this IN THE FRONT FENDERS!!!!:eek: Needless to say, that surprised me. It looks like an attempt to keep road noise from the front fender/wheel wells from entering the door, hence the cabin.
Was this by mistake?? Did I find this in error? Was that insulation supposed to be glued down deeper inside the front fender? I noticed it as I looked down to the ground after opening the driver's door while getting out. Charcoal gray foam inside, barely visible in a gap between front door/fender.

Sly

P.S. No wonder this car is musuem like Quiet!!

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,754 Posts
LOL... yeah, that all sounds normal.

If you want to see weird, check out the wheel wells of a new Audi - they are carpet instead of plastic... (again, for sound suppression)

-Charlie

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I dont think the foam inside the bumper is for sound insulation. I think its for dampening the impact in case of a collision and to help the bumper keep shape in little bumps. (Correct me if Im wrong please.)

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
white90dx said:
LOL... yeah, that all sounds normal.

If you want to see weird, check out the wheel wells of a new Audi - they are carpet instead of plastic... (again, for sound suppression)

-Charlie
hmm... would that qualify as a mod.... please don't get me started because I might just try this. Hmm. I'll go to the nearest Audi dealer and see what it looks like and see if I can mimic it... What do ya think guys... shag or textured:rolleyes: ?

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
I would like to use the rubber finger type mats, as they are not going to get water logged.

No moldy carpet;)

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,754 Posts
Ruffrydasean said:
hmm... would that qualify as a mod.... please don't get me started because I might just try this. Hmm. I'll go to the nearest Audi dealer and see what it looks like and see if I can mimic it... What do ya think guys... shag or textured:rolleyes: ?
You can get better performance and sound deadening from other methods... Go for those first (RAAMmat or other sound deadener on metal panels, etc.).

-Charlie

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
5spd V6 ClrTail said:
You're being corrected Grydlyne, he never mentioned anything about the bumpers.
Fender I mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts