Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard/read a bit about using sound-dampening material in the car doors. I noticed some of you doing this to your Tacomas...putting the stuff in doors, etc.

Do I need to do this if replacing factory speakers with upgraded jobs? Does it make a difference in sound quality?

Also, I'm wondering about the long-term effects of replacing speakers. After five years of bumps and shaking, etc., how are aftermarket speakers/wiring/mounts and such going to hold up? Any precautions I should take to ensure that they remain solid and stable year after year?

I don't plan to get any air with my rig, but I'd like to ensure that these speakers and wiring don't emit any vibrations/squeaking several years down the rod.

Thanks,

Count

·
Registered
139 Posts
The system in my 2000 preruner is oatrageous! The sound deadening is a huge improvement in sound quality. Even when just driving with out the radio on, it is much quieter and a lot less road noise. My new truck should be here any time now and it will recieve a complete sound deadening.:clap:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Lots of guys here use Raamat. You apply it to the inner door skin. It adds mass to the metal which prevents vibration (noise). You don't really do anything to the interior space of the door where the window is. They only thing you could really do is maybe spray some liquid deading material in there, but it's not really worth the cost.

Heres a good links with some pics of how Cam2xrunner did his doors.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t76758.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t64909.html

:thumbup:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Count said:
Also, I'm wondering about the long-term effects of replacing speakers. After five years of bumps and shaking, etc., how are aftermarket speakers/wiring/mounts and such going to hold up? Any precautions I should take to ensure that they remain solid and stable year after year?

I don't plan to get any air with my rig, but I'd like to ensure that these speakers and wiring don't emit any vibrations/squeaking several years down the rod.
Aftermarket speakers should be more durable than stock ones. Replacing the stock paper-cone speakers is always a good idea for better sound and durability. Ive seen plenty of 10 year-old aftermarket speakers that still looked and worked like new. A 10 year-old stock speaker usually looks pretty brittle and weak.

As for squeaks and rattles, that depends on how well of an install you do. Just dampen the doors, secure the wires with tape or zip ties, and mount the speakers with the proper bolts or screws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.