Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing some maintenance on my 84 Supra, I had to remove a couple larger (5/8" to 3/4") vacuum lines off the intake side valve cover. Being old, the ends of these cracked as I took them off. I tried the local NAPA store and they don't have anything as large as these by the foot and the hoses are freformed to a specific shape. I called Toyota here in Canada and the one hose (from the Oil Filler Neck to the bottom of the block) is $91 and the other (Valve Cover to Throttle body) is $31. There has to be a less expensive route through an aftermarket company. Does anyone know where I can get these two hoses for less than an arm and a leg? The dealer suggested that I might be able to find a source for the hose by the foot and just make sure I route it so there are no kinks. Anybody tried this? What about silicone?

Thanks

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Silicone is expensive, and finding one designed for that bend for an 1984 car is going to make it be tougher to find.

·
Noob ??? Not on cars !!
'89 N/A Supra
50 Posts
You can probably find a piece of pre-formed heater hose (correct bends you need), then cut it to fit. It won't last ten years, but may last 3-4. It can handle the heat, but will slowly break down due to the oil / fuel vapors.
Much cheaper.

·
Registered
1984 Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I stopped in at another parts store today and he suggested the heater hose as well. Think I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
1984 Supra
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeeves, you indicated silicone is very expensive. I noticed some silicone kits on eBay for the smaller hoses on the engine. I was considering picking one up to replace all the other hoses assuming they are ready to crack as well. These kits on eBay are $15 for 26 ft of mixed diameters. Are they a different silicone and junk?

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
The cheap stuff is typically thin walled and collapses easily. Search for a company called High Temp Silicone. They posted to the supraforums and supramania sites a while back with their methods of manufacture and the testing methods. Seemed more information on the manufacturing than anyone else provided, and they have some pretty impressive testing to demonstrate their product's superiority to the average stuff. They may not be the best, but the independent tests I remember showed they could deal with anything a car could throw at them. I think they are available on ebay from time to time as well.

Bob

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
bgrieger said:
The cheap stuff is typically thin walled and collapses easily. Search for a company called High Temp Silicone. They posted to the supraforums and supramania sites a while back with their methods of manufacture and the testing methods. Seemed more information on the manufacturing than anyone else provided, and they have some pretty impressive testing to demonstrate their product's superiority to the average stuff. They may not be the best, but the independent tests I remember showed they could deal with anything a car could throw at them. I think they are available on ebay from time to time as well.

Bob
Exactly what he said. I was more specifically referencing large sized hose, i.e. the main radiator hoses, etc. Samco sells silicone hose kits for them and that stuff isn't cheap ata ll.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts