Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much space would you reccomend between the back of the sub and the back of the box. i think i'm going to wind up with about an inch. is that bad?

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
how many inches is your sub? there is a ratio of sub diameter to air ratio for the box to use

edit: you can always get polyfill box stuffing and put some in your sub box. the point of the stuffing is that the stuffing changes the air volume density in a box, so the driver performs as if the box were bigger. use 1-1.5 lbs. of stuffing per cubic foot of volume.

*i seriously think cotton or polyester stuffing will do the same thing here :D and be cheaper*

8" - .35 internal volume (cubic ft)

10" - .65 - 1.25 internal volume

12" - .85 - 1.75 internal volume

15" - 1.5 - 2.25 internal volume

·
Grenaded piston
6,583 Posts
WhiteR said:
edit: you can always get polyfill box stuffing and put some in your sub box.

*i seriously think cotton or polyester stuffing will do the same thing here :D and be cheaper*
Polyfil and polyester stuffing is the same stuff.

Polyfil = polyester fiber stuffing.

You can get a big bag of it from Wal-Mart for a few bucks.

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
Yeah, it all depends on the drivers you're running. Just try not to obstruct the hole on the back of the magnet where the voice coil is.

3 of my old CompVR 10s were mounted at a 45-degree angle to the bottom of my enclosure with about a half an inch from the bottom at the lowest point, and I didn't have any problems with that setup.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
1" is sufficient

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
MykeLefty said:
it's a 12"

im not sure how close it is to the end, ill do measurments tommorow.

but either way, you suggest suffing it with cotton?
stuff it if the subwoofers sound out of tone, like rattling or just plain crappy, and see if that does anything for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts