·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a car with just one key.

Its a Toyota Camry SE, 2016.

I want to get a duplicate.
Dealer wants to charge over $300 for a blank and programming !
I have seen blank keys on Ebay for approx $50, but they need to be cut and programmed.

I really do not need the transponder ( wireless functions for door and trunk ).
Is there a cheaper option ? Can I just get the local hardware store to make me a duplicate ?

One local locksmith quoted $80 to program and cut the blank, which I would happily pay, but not sure if this provides a satisfactory product.
Ebay has a listing where a guy cuts the keys from pictures and sends you an Over the air programming service with a unit they mail to you. This is $99. Has anybody used this and what their thoughts would be ?

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,811 Posts
I got a car with just one key.

Its a Toyota Camry SE, 2016.

I want to get a duplicate.
Dealer wants to charge over $300 for a blank and programming !
I have seen blank keys on Ebay for approx $50, but they need to be cut and programmed.

I really do not need the transponder ( wireless functions for door and trunk ).
Is there a cheaper option ? Can I just get the local hardware store to make me a duplicate ?

One local locksmith quoted $80 to program and cut the blank, which I would happily pay, but not sure if this provides a satisfactory product.
Ebay has a listing where a guy cuts the keys from pictures and sends you an Over the air programming service with a unit they mail to you. This is $99. Has anybody used this and what their thoughts would be ?
Use the automotive locksmith. If his key and program don't work while you're standing there, then no worries.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sethr,

Do you mean buy the blank from Ebay and get the key programmed and cuts from the locksmith ?

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,811 Posts
No. Get key and program from him if under $120 or so.

·
Registered
2012 Camry LE
102 Posts
We need a foolproof guide on techstream so people here can program and cut their keys without visiting the dealership. Assuming you have a windows laptop, it's a one time cost of $15 for the techstream cable + $25/key versus $350 at your friendly neighborhood stealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,811 Posts
We need a foolproof guide on techstream so people here can program and cut their keys without visiting the dealership. Assuming you have a windows laptop, it's a one time cost of $15 for the techstream cable + $25/key versus $350 at your friendly neighborhood stealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think what we have is only a chunk of techstream. If it did keys and showed tranny temperature it would be worth it's weight.

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks like the tech-stream cables are cheap enough, and the official blank keys for Toyota are not too bad either.
However, the key still needs to be cut, even if we could program them.
Most of us have laptops/PCs as I do.

I have three Camrys in the family, so the cost of the hardware is not too bad, its just having to go to a locksmith/dealer to achieve anything worthwhile. Their seem to be pretty exorbitant.

Member Speedkar9 shows how to use techstream to program a lexus key here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1406594-camry-remote-key-duplication.html

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Really, even if they don't sell you the key ?-- you mean relatively free ?
Sounds too good !

Our local hardware store has the automatic machines that accept the original key and cut the same key, but there is no user control of the blank key that is used.

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where was that dongali.
The hardware store ( in San Jose CA ) charges $89 for the key and cutting, but no programming.

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you use the techstream cable from ebay and instructions from youtube, like those from SpeedKar99 ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Subscribed.. i hate the fob/key in one.. i would love to pick up a plain H chip key (like the valet key) and have it cut and program it myseld if possible.

Ive already scooped up a cheap FOB that was already cut (G chip) in anticipation of chopping off the blank and just using the FOB.

Ive scratched up my interior three times and im just waiting to scratch the paint on the door/trunk from holding the FOB in my hand. If that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
I hate that massive key/fob and the one for my wife's Rav4 is one reason I got the Smart Key option on my Corolla.
Added benefit, impossible to lock myself out ;)

For the non-smart key, the version of Techstream that we can get works just fine. You can program a total of either 4 or 6 chips into your car.
The remote is a different story... I don't know if our Techstream can do that or not.

BTW, the Amazon "flip key" is neat, but the paint wears off of the buttons very quickly, so be warned. Mine wore off just being in my pocket.
Buy a Valet key, remove the chip from under the rubber cover and tack-glue it into the flip key case.
Have the flip-key cut by any locksmith, load up Techstream and program it.
Transfer the remote "guts" from your original key to the flip-key case and you're done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ive had flip keys too.. too jiggly/loose when turning the ignition.. whatever... guess im picky..

Just want a regular old key and a regular fob with the key shaft cut off..

Looks like p/n 89785-0D170 will work for us.

Have been meaning to get techstream but have been waiting for some people to confirm its actually reliable and useable.

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just bought a Techstream cable and s/w.
I managed to install it OK, but it seems that the version of the software that I have is locked.
Is there anywhere to download or buy unlocked Techstream s/w

The cable works fine as an OBD cable.
My car is 2016 Camry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How did you manage to get only one key? I assume the car is used, but even then, they should give you two keys, because it's a safety risk to have 2 others (1 valet, and 1 regular fob) floating around.

I bought mine used as well, and it came with 2 fobs with the door lock/unlock, trunk button and panic alarm, plus a valet key.

·
Registered
Camry 2011
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This car shows that the key was lost from the trunk when an oil change was done at 10K miles, but never replaced ( because it was not noticed util later ). It has no other keys available at all. I can get a new key, fully programmed for around $300, but I thought I would use the Techstream to duplicate another key and disable previous ones as well as have some diagnostic s/w around.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts