Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am able to turn the spare tire lowering pulley counter clock wise but the tire will not lower. It feels/sounds like it is not engaging. I am applying all the pressure I can to ensure the end of the jack handle is firmly setted/engaged in the mechanism. Even tried turning clock wise half a turn and then counter clock wise but no luck. Any suggestions? Also how would I go about cutting the cable if necessary. It does not seem accessible from under the vehicle/tire. Thanks!:help::dunno:

·
My Other Truck
4,213 Posts
My only suggestion is to look in with a flashlight to make sure the tool is properly engaged. It doesn't take pressure, it just needs to be lined up right. I've had a devil of a time with it until I was able to see it, then it's a snap.

If that's not your problem, I'm no help at all....

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
What Splicer said. Check the angle of the slot (before installing the handle), then turn it 1/8, then remove handle and see if the angle of the slot changed. If it did, then try pulling the tire down. Sometimes the cable binds and it could be loosening the spool but the cable may be pinched. Pulling on the tire should help pull it down (assuming there isn't a more dire problem like a broken cable or mechanism).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The handle is definitely engaged in the hoist slot. Every half turn I hear a click. Feels like something inside of the hoist is not engaging or slipping. The tire will not budge. Guess I'll try to pry on the small plate that fits into the center hole (hub) of the tire to see if the cable will loosen.

·
Premium Member
2008 Sienna LE
990 Posts
Do the earlier ones use a cable? Mine uses a black painted chain. Plus I have the Toyota spare tire lock kit, which adds a McGard-style keyed insert to the socket, and a keyed adapter that fits on the crank handle.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
Steve, yes they use a cable. They switched to a chain on the later years?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My only suggestion is to look in with a flashlight to make sure the tool is properly engaged. It doesn't take pressure, it just needs to be lined up right. I've had a devil of a time with it until I was able to see it, then it's a snap.
I found it mandatory to use a flashlight. I found out the first time I lowered mine to put some air in that you need to use a flashlight for proper engagement. Since then I kept a flashlight in the truck full time. Saved the day when I did actually have to change a flat on the side of the freeway.

IMO, the tire change jack kit should include a flashlight.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Hmm, can't find anything in the manual. Not called spare or tire or hoist that I can see. Any other clues?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Have you crawled under the truck and checked to make sure that there is nothing wedged up in the well?

·
Premium Member
2008 Sienna LE
990 Posts
Steve, yes they use a cable. They switched to a chain on the later years?
I don't know when they switched, but I thought it was weird - never seen a chain before. The morning after I bought it last year, I dropped the tire and flipped it over, to make it easier to check the pressure. It came in handy a couple of weeks ago - I went to Discount Tire to get an air check, and the guy crawled under there and checked the spare. It would have been a bigger hassle (or more likely he wouldn't have checked it) if it wasn't flipped.

·
Registered
14 Tacoma
206 Posts
...I dropped the tire and flipped it over, to make it easier to check the pressure...
Why the factory installs it will the valve up makes no sense. If they think they are trying to protect the valve from damage, what about the 4 other wheels?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sounds like surgery time. OP if you can deflate the tire in place and undo the plate that mounts the tire to the wheel you might be able to buy yourself enough space to drop the tire. That winch is available as a spare part. It has a torque-limiter inside to prevent winching it up too tight; that sounds like the clicking you hear. But you said it was clicking while being turned counter-clockwise. Something tells me you are going to find plastic gears and other cheap junk in the winch assembly causing the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't remember if it was here or on TW, but somebody zip-tied a piece of conduit between the bumper and the end of the winch to guide the crank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Success! I used a pry bar to pry the plate that is attached to the cable away from the center of the rim a couple inches but it quickly returned after I released pressure. While the cable did not loosen the hoist did finally release and lower the tire. I have since greased the cable and resecured the spare. Thanks again for everyones help.:thanks:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am able to turn the spare tire lowering pulley counter clock wise but the tire will not lower. It feels/sounds like it is not engaging. I am applying all the pressure I can to ensure the end of the jack handle is firmly setted/engaged in the mechanism. Even tried turning clock wise half a turn and then counter clock wise but no luck. Any suggestions? Also how would I go about cutting the cable if necessary. It does not seem accessible from under the vehicle/tire. Thanks!:help::dunno:
I inserted the bar into the pulley then tapped the bar with something inward a few times. Then turned counter clockwise, after a few twists it finally engaged and lowered tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts