Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Avalon
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have to make a 150 mile long trip on Thursday and I just put my spare tire on the car. I ran over a screw two or three days ago, didnt drive my car since then and went to go get groceries yesterday and BAM 9psi in the back right tire. How far can I drive on the factory spare? It is in great condition and only has 10 miles on it. It is the Toyota full size spare also.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,630 Posts
Assuming you've posted in the correct forum, your tire is between 11 and 16 years old. Let me change the question to how far I'd let a loved one drive it at highway speeds. Answer: zero miles. Why not get the flat properly repaired in the next 2.5 days instead of waiting?

I happen to think Mr. Murphy was an optimist. If you drive on the spare, you have no....spare. Not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
I agree with Ted. Get the spare fixed. You can do it yourself with a cheap kit available at an auto parts store. If you don't know how to do it, I posted up a detailed DIY in the General Discussion forum a while back. A search of that forum will turn it up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Avalon
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have phrased my post more carefully. By Toyota spare I meant Toyota size spare. It is the standard full size tire. I am fairly sure it is only a year or two old. The tire itself looks fairly new.

I don't see the point in spending money to repair a tire when I have road hazard insurance. The tire with the screw in it is 2 months old and doesn't have nearly enough miles to be void of insurance.

·
1,630 Posts
I should have phrased my post more carefully. By Toyota spare I meant Toyota size spare. It is the standard full size tire. I am fairly sure it is only a year or two old. The tire itself looks fairly new.

I don't see the point in spending money to repair a tire when I have road hazard insurance. The tire with the screw in it is 2 months old and doesn't have nearly enough miles to be void of insurance.
So, then, what about the spare concerns you? It's the same size as the other three (you imply) and say it's at most a couple years old. What are you not telling us...it's got a gash in the sidewall?

And, is your tire supplier only open weekends, preventing you from getting the screw hole fixed under warranty before the trip?

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Avalon
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, then, what about the spare concerns you? It's the same size as the other three (you imply) and say it's at most a couple years old. What are you not telling us...it's got a gash in the sidewall?

And, is your tire supplier only open weekends, preventing you from getting the screw hole fixed under warranty before the trip?
Nevermind, I was just concerned about the tire ratings. I assumed that they would replace a spare tire with a similarly rated one. I guess I was wrong.

My tire supplier is open 6 days a week. But they are 150 miles away, hence the travel. Before you think "oh he's an idiot for driving so far to buy tires," its my parents supplier. I am in college and I bought this car, the tires and various other parts at home. And no, I checked, the insurance doesn't cover outside tire suppliers and they don't have a location in the Milwaukee area.

·
Registered
145 Posts
the toyota spare is a full sized tire i dont see the issue here? its not rated anything funny its a normal tire. ive had mine on the right front for about a week now lol in the south fl heat and it seems fine lol. i think you would be fine except if another one goes or it goes ur going to be on the road without a spare!

Ive always wondered about that u have 1 spare, what if u lose 2 tires LOl more more. i could see some OCD person driving around with 4 spares lol

·
1,630 Posts
Nevermind, I was just concerned about the tire ratings. I assumed that they would replace a spare tire with a similarly rated one. I guess I was wrong.

My tire supplier is open 6 days a week. But they are 150 miles away, hence the travel. Before you think "oh he's an idiot for driving so far to buy tires," its my parents supplier. I am in college and I bought this car, the tires and various other parts at home. And no, I checked, the insurance doesn't cover outside tire suppliers and they don't have a location in the Milwaukee area.
I understand the student/home situation. My daughter's been 175 miles away for the last 6 years, getting her BS & Masters.

What I don't understand is why it took so many prompts for you to finally get around to stating your real concern. And, in reality, you're the only one who can actually check the specs of the (former) spare against the other three. It's all on the sidewall for you to read. The rest of us are guessing.

Safe trip home.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
I still say plug the tire yourself. Saves a lot of time and hassle for a $4 plug kit.

·
1,630 Posts
Reality check: Tell me you were planning to go home this weekend before you got the flat. It's sure not worth the cost of the round trip to avoid a $25+/- charge for an off the rim repair & rebalance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
hmm

i agree with ted, i mean $25 is more piece of mind than anything. also u should see if the insureance will reinburse your parents for out of network repairs. i know some companys have a provision for it. also if its a "Road hazzard deal it should be covered where ever you are unless its a cut rate bs plan ur wasteing ur money on lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts