Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the dealership today to see if they had any new info on the "Tacoma Tick." He said they've determined the engine tick is coming from the spark arrestor. Where exactly is the spark arrestor on the 4.0 and more importantly, does this theory make any sense to anyone? After telling me it was the spark arrestor causing the tick, he said they tried to fix it on a couple of other Tacomas with no positive results. He also told me the tick is normal and isn't hurting anything. :confused:

·
Registered
984 Posts
The tick is normal, but your service guy is full of shit. Cars are equiped with catalytic convertors not spark arrestors, its not a motorcycle. And it isn't the catalytic convertor either, from what I heard and it makes the most sense is that it is the VVTi that is toyotas version of Vtec. Honda did a better job at making it sound better but toyotas works great as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can anyone post a sound clip of engine tick. It seems odd some people hear it and some don't. I've had motorcycles and cars without hydraulic lifters. My tacoma sounds like normal tick for engines without hydraulic lifters. Are the people that hear it just used to engines that have hydraulic lifters, like most american cars.

·
Registered
257 Posts
MichaelC said:
Can anyone post a sound clip of engine tick. It seems odd some people hear it and some don't. I've had motorcycles and cars without hydraulic lifters. My tacoma sounds like normal tick for engines without hydraulic lifters. Are the people that hear it just used to engines that have hydraulic lifters, like most american cars.
Im pretty sure the 4.0 has hydraulic lash adjusters and not lifters. Most OHC motors American or domestics have hydraulic lash adjusters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts