Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for "spark" in the 3rd gen Hybrid forum and come up with zero hits so here's my questions:

The Hybrid uses platinum platinum plugs with a life of 60K. I pushing 59K now on our '18.
I've always replaced my own plugs but it seems like the rear three require the intake to be removed and is a royal PITA.
  1. Has anyone found a DIY for plugs on the 3rd Gen Hybrid? (I've only found ones for the regular Highlander; different engine)
  2. Has anyone replaced the Platinum plugs with Iridium ones to get the service interval to 100K? If so, which plugs?
  3. What have you paid for the dealer to perform the spark plug job? (I get wildly varying quotes from $525 to $750 from different dealers).
Thanks!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,244 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know where the platinum spark plugs come from but the Highlander Hybrid already uses iridium spark plugs. If anything, changing the spark plugs is gonna be very similar to the gasoline version since the engines will virtually be the same since they are both 2GR's.
The parts list calls for Platinum plugs in my '18 Limited Platinum and the maintenance schedule confirms this; they are platinum and not the iridium. All the vids on the non-hybrids do not have an intake covering the three rear plugs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out page 45 for the Maintenance manual that is provided for my VIN (I'd paste the link except it's the same as yours):

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, here's the plugs for this VIN from the Toyota site:

So, it appears Toyota made a running change at some point and cheaped out with Platinum plugs...

plugs.JPG

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Those are iridium, the tips are likely platinum but its center electrode tip material is gonna be iridium. If I remember correctly, even the newer Highlander utilizes a 60,000 spark plug replacement.

Link to Toyota(Lexus) OEM manual removed.

·
7,495 Posts
Interesting.
I could swear, it always was iridium tipped.
Oh well, it is what it is.
My NX200t required plugs change at 35 000 miles. I see new trend ...
Either way, OP, you'll have to hassle with rear plugs. You either pay dealer over $500 to do the job or find a creative mechanic that will figure how to do it without cowl or plenum removal. I had a guy who did it in an hour for $200 plus my plugs.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Hi, I would think that the spark plugs would be the same if your engine is 2GR-FXS. Or I might be wrong ...
The 2GR-FXS still uses iridium spark plugs, Toyota just changed the mileage for when they are changed from the older 120,000 miles to 60,000 miles. Most likely because of direct gas injected but I would not know the reason. The Denso website for the spark plugs describe the spark plugs as having both iridium and platinum components.

08 Camry
So is it platinum? nickel? copper? or iridium-rhodium? I'll just trust the site description that it is iridium.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts