Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my plugs in my 05 V6

27,000 miles.....your suppose to do it every 30K

They needed to be done but were not in bad condition.

Passenger side had Denso's and driver side had NGK's.

I knew this might be possible going in.

What I was surprised by was how tight the NGK's were.

Do you think the factory might have used anti-seize on 1 side?

They could have just been put in to tight.

The job took about 1.5 hrs.

If you have not done this you need to remove the intake on the passenger side.
(this is the easy side and only took me about 30 min.)

On the driver side some vacuum lines will need to be disconnected and some sort of stabilizer bar.

Make sure your motor is cool, it will be easier to remove the plugs.

I used OEM denso plugs from the dealership. part # 90919-01235
Cost was $ 2.27 per plug
I made them give me the NET price instead of list @ $3.82

I also used some Anti-seize when I put the new plugs in.

The dealership wanted about $100 bucks for this.

I did it myself and it cost me only $14.57

I could tell a definite improvement in performance.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
Muddskipper said:
Replaced my plugs in my 05 V6

27,000 miles.....your suppose to do it every 30K

They needed to be done but were not in bad condition.

I knew this might be possible going in.

What I was surprised by was how tight the NGK's were.

Do you think the factory might have used anti-seize on 1 side?

They could have just been put in to tight.

The job took about 1.5 hrs.

If you have not done this you need to remove the intake on the passenger side.
(this is the easy side and only took me about 30 min.)

On the driver side some vacuum lines will need to be disconnected and some sort of stabilizer bar.

Make sure your motor is cool, it will be easier to remove the plugs.

I used OEM denso plugs from the dealership. part # 90919-01235
Cost was $ 2.27 per plug
I made them give me the NET price instead of list @ $3.82

I also used some Anti-seize when I put the new plugs in.

The dealership wanted about $100 bucks for this.

I did it myself and it cost me only $14.57

I could tell a definite improvement in performance.

Remember to add the Denso sticker for more HP!!! yay!!!!!

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Be careful putting Anti-Sieze on your plugs. Some Anti-Sieze is an electrical insulator and that means it could give you a crappy spark since the spark plug uses the contact between the plug and the engine as an electrical connection. We learned this the hard way at work because we put Anti-Sieze on the connection between the propeller and the prop shaft and since it became an insulator it prevented the anode on the prop shaft from doing it's job on the propeller and within 3 months electrolysis had destroyed our brand new props (These arn't small props niether they are 30 inches in diameter and solid brass.)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I find that really strange. Did you buy your Taco brand new? Seems to me the thing has been worked on and somebody changed half the plugs and maybe torqued them down either too hard or not hard enough.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
humanoid said:
The last gen Tacos also came from the factory with one side NGKs and the other side DENSOs.
I guess I'm plum ignant. But tell me why would it be like that?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dl1027 said:
when the motors are coming down the line, there are guys on each side.

They have both DENSO and NGK's at the factory. They might have differnt types when coming down and they are putting in what is with-in reach.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
A little anti-seize shouldn't be a prblm, a lot could be a prblm in terms of contamination of O2 sensors, cat converters, etc. Just put a little and wipe it so that there is no excess. As for allowing the engine to cool -always a good idea, not just for your own body parts, but for the thrded hole as well. (It's mandatory for aluminum and magnesium heads.)

As for the NGK/Denso -that is queer, but it's been reported by just about everyone who has written about changing their V6 plugs. I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea to mix 'em (and I wonder if Toyota engineering is aware of it -wouldn't be the first time that someone made a production decision without obtaining engr approval).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also had 2 NGK and 4 denso plugs in my truck when I changed them out. The plugs still had a lot of life in them at 50k.
I changed them all to Denso.

·
Registered
'05 Taco & '89 ///M3
196 Posts
dl1027 said:
My guess (and it's just that.. a guess, this is based on no factual information) is that Toyota has some sort of contract with NGK and Denso, that's why they install one brand in one side and the other brand on the other side.

·
DCSUNDOG
06 4wd access cab
43 Posts
SP Jon M3 said:
My guess (and it's just that.. a guess, this is based on no factual information) is that Toyota has some sort of contract with NGK and Denso, that's why they install one brand in one side and the other brand on the other side.

If this is true, why does'nt Toyota install a complete set of plugs and alternate every other vehicle moving down the line. Even if the specs are similiar, I can't believe it's the optimal performance approach.

·
05TACO
'05 White Double Cab
124 Posts
Plug Change

I just did my plugs yesterday and also had NGK on drivers side and Denso on passenger side. I bought the truck with 28k on it and now has 35k. It was obvious the plugs had never been changed (and needed changing) but what was a little surprising was the gap. I know it will vary on plugs with 35K because of the burn but I had 1 plug that was at.36 and another at .51, that seems to me that they must have been wrong from the start. I went with the NGK's and wasn't sure if I should leave the NEG bat cable off so the ECU could adjust to the new plugs but I did this anyway. When I first drove it (to work on freeway) it seemed sluggish but coming home it was running nice and the idle was so quiet I couldn't tell it was running when I stopped at a light. Anyway, if you have close to 30K on your 4.0 get those plugs changed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
msibille said:
A little anti-seize shouldn't be a prblm, a lot could be a prblm in terms of contamination of O2 sensors, cat converters, etc. Just put a little and wipe it so that there is no excess. As for allowing the engine to cool -always a good idea, not just for your own body parts, but for the thrded hole as well. (It's mandatory for aluminum and magnesium heads.)

As for the NGK/Denso -that is queer, but it's been reported by just about everyone who has written about changing their V6 plugs. I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea to mix 'em (and I wonder if Toyota engineering is aware of it -wouldn't be the first time that someone made a production decision without obtaining engr approval).
i've had trouble with even alittle antisieze on the spark plug threads. the problem is more apparent with hard to spark mixtures (boosted). Either way I don't antisieze my plugs. I've never run into a problem with removing a spark plug. they shouldn't be torqued in there that tight anyways with Al heads.

on another note where have you run into magnesium heads??? that's news to me.

·
NJ Redneck
2005 Toyota Tacoma
712 Posts
Does the manual have a good write-up on replacing plugs? I've been meaning to do it, but never have. Someone should do a step-by-step with pictures! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just did mine today. NGK's on the driver side and Denso's on the passenger side.

My NGK's were RIDICULOUSLY tight. I had to switch from my standard 3/8 ratchet to a really long 1/2 just to get the suckers out!!! I wish I had a torque wrench to tell you exactly how much force was involved.

The Denso's came out just like normal.

What was interesting was the wear on the NGK's (around a .075 or more gap) being worse than the denso's which were around .05.

I just got the truck at 55k and being just over 60k I wanted to change the plugs. Unfortunately, the guy left the original plugs in it and didn't change them at 30k. Just thought you might be interested in the difference of wear at 60k on both plugs.

·
Dont Hate....
SWB X-RUNNER
408 Posts
Changed mine 30,000 miles ago. They were different on each also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
plug gap?

What is the proper gap for the spark plugs?

Can anyone with a service manual give the proper tightening procedure?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts