Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just spent some time reading through the forum regarding spark plug replacement. I have a 2006 Avalon limited with about 121K.

It seems like their are varying views on spark plugs. I just want to know if people have changed them or not. If they did, at what mileage and was any difference noticed? If not, what mileage are you currently at.

Many thanks! :thanks:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was going to do my own ( 2006 Avalon XL, 89,000), but I found a Toyota dealer near me that only charged 250.00 for that service. Based on the amount of stuff involved, I decided to let the pros tackle this one. They cleaned out my TB as well. I had to travel a little bit to find a Toyota dealer that had a "realistic" price for that job, though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to do my own ( 2006 Avalon XL, 89,000), but I found a Toyota dealer near me that only charged 250.00 for that service. Based on the amount of stuff involved, I decided to let the pros tackle this one. They cleaned out my TB as well. I had to travel a little bit to find a Toyota dealer that had a "realistic" price for that job, though.
Is TB Throttle Body? My local dealer is quoting me $410 for the price. $250 sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Changed plugs on my wifes '06 Avalon XL in June of this year. Car had 161,000 miles on the clock at that time. Plugs that I pulled out looked amazing for that kind of mileage; then again, technology advances seems to have brought longer life to just about all parts of a car.

Car was equipped with Denso FK20HR11 plugs - replaced with same, along with a new throttle body gasket - 22271-0P020 and 3 air surge tank gaskets - 17176-0P020. Some mfgs. refer to the air surge tank as the plenum. It is not the intake manifold as some refer to it. That piece is below the air surge tank.

Lots of work. Check the 2nd Gen Highlander forum. Look for a post by sweeneyp. Best writeup/pictorial I've seen for a 2GR-FE plug change. Also a 5 min high speed video on youtube of a dealer tech doing this on an '07 Camry equipped with a 2GR-FE.

·
ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
826 Posts
Hi All,

Just spent some time reading through the forum regarding spark plug replacement. I have a 2006 Avalon limited with about 121K.

It seems like their are varying views on spark plugs. I just want to know if people have changed them or not. If they did, at what mileage and was any difference noticed? If not, what mileage are you currently at.

Many thanks! :thanks:
You might want to change the 3 coils in the rear while you are replacing the spark plugs (use DENSO parts only, please) It's a lot of labor to replace the plugs, and not something you want to go back in and do again in 3 months if/when a coil fails.

121K? I would replace the plugs the plenum gaskets are rubber, and usually are reusable as long as you can feel the rubber sticking up above the gasket surface.

Cleaning the throttle valve is a good idea, but don't spray right into the throttle body. I use a rag soaked with throttle cleaner so the stuff doesn't get into the electronics on the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have/had 7 Toyota since 97 only did spark plug once on the 97 Camry @ 100K miles. Didn't do it to my Highlander(s), Avalon(s), Sienna(s). I did have Toyota dealer pull the plug and check the condition. They always say "still looking good, don't need to do the spark plug"

·
Registered
257 Posts
Beware of knockoff Denso 3426 plugs
top-hkseller on ebay is selling fakes

Rockauto sells the "REAL" plugs

If it looks too good to be true it's probably fake

·
Registered
53 Posts
It might be wiseto change the rear upstream O2 sensor as it is hard to reach unless you remove things like when doing the rear plugs. O2 sensors should be changed at about 100,000 miles or less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
Zz Man
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing