Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im gonna need to get new spark plug wires. i was noticing a little hesitation when pressing on the gas from idle like it wanted to stall it never did this before, so i looked under the hood and noticed sparks arcing from all four of my spark plug wires to one another when i gave it a little gas this was at night of course, so i took the little clips that keep my wires all neat and tidy off to maybe separate them a wee bit but they just sprung back to where they were lol. so im calling anyone with knowlege is this what my problem is and what good spark plug wires can i get and can i wrap them thick in electrical tape until i can get them replaced

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
You will certainly need to replace those wires if you want it to run right.

Don't waste your time with electrical tape.

Factory wires are great. NGK make good wires as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i went out to advanced auto parts got myself a distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wire set, and spark plugs. i was itching to get home to put all these new goodies in my truck. i came home in the freezing cold and got it done in less than an hour everything in and it purrs like a four cylinder kitten runs perfect i have much more pickup in higher gears and more power its great:wiggle:

·
Registered
188 Posts
yea its amazing what a tune up will do for you.. since we are on the subject what do you think of new 8mm plug wires? and a urdieum plug? my spelling maybe off.. but i was talked into buy the best plug on the market.. doesnt need gapped and never needs replaced so i heard.. it was like 8$ a plug tho...

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Iridium spark plugs are very good. Very hard electrode material makes it so they hardly wear at all, and also allows the manufacturer to make the electrode much smaller in diameter so that it concentrates the spark energy in a smaller area so that it does not take as much voltage to fire.

As far as lasting longer...well that depends on the running condition of your engine. The electrode does not wear out but if your high mileage engine is using any quantity of oil the ultimately deposits will be the reason you have to replace the plugs, not wear.

So if you get them it should be the performance that is the reason for it.

High quality plug wires such as Toyota factory parts or NGK would be my choice. 8mm wires look cool but the skinny ones work great.

·
Registered
188 Posts
awww so i got owned.. its for the truck i am rebuilding.. damn those parts junkies!!!!!! i knew they just wanted to sale more shit :p why didnt i find you first vicoor

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i just got standard stuff for right now so it would run right i was suprised it was even running at all since the plug that goes right into the center of the distributor cap fell off when i poked it, all the wires were corroded as bajesus

·
Registered
188 Posts
wow.. that is amazing.. i am sure it was getting a connection tho i believe the park starts at that terminal then the rotor passes it to the correct wire then to the spark plug...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes indeed actually im looking at my old wire now i think the part that plugs in to the cap and clicks in corroded away in it because theres no plug inside the boot just a wire wow lol i cant believe it ran

·
Registered
188 Posts
damn... u luckey SOB if that was mine.. i would of broken down out in bfe!! i cant even install a stero right!!!!!! my god MAN...

and you changed em cause you saw arching in the wires.. nuts... and poor idle.. and proformance

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup i have more power than i did before AND theres even like 200 pounds of ice in the back of my truck from the snowstorm cant wait until it melts out so i can see how much power i really have... oh and im getting much better fuel mileage which is good for me because im 16 and im poor(not my family just me :disappoin )

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
It's good to 16 and poor

It may not seem so good now, but it helps to create an understanding of the value of everthing.

Go to school, learn a lot , then get rich

your wealth will be far greater than just money

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are very wise, but i need muneys to keep my truck running lol and it would be nice to make it purdy and make it not pull to the right and make it not have a warped rotor and get rid of the rust and put some non breakable timing chain guides in it :[ i know what you mean but i just cant make my parents do all that for me

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mushroom_toy i have a job i just work two days a week :[

i would imagine msd wires would be pretty good i dont know anything about them though

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Warning, old memories ahead.

I was just looking back through this thread and saw you all discussing the bad plug wire.

This reminded me of a prank that backfired about 20 years ago.

I was working at a local tire shop with another technician. One of the tire changers (a real know it all type) had an old volkswagen beetle that he was working on between changing tires. While he wasn't looking the other tech substituted a vacuum hose in place of the coil wire and we stood back in the corner snickering that he'd never figure out why it wouldn't start.
Well shortly he hopped in it and drove away! :dunno:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahah sounds like a sweet prank too bad it went right in your face i bet he thought he was hot shit ha them know it all types god i cant stand them i know a few of them and they really dont "know". at vo tech i got in an argument about which ports were exhaust and intake i told him that the side with the carbon and oil and shit caked on the sides was the exhaust but nooooooo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts