Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is probilly been told here a thousand times.

whats the deal with not useing single tiped spark plugs in the 1mz engine? i mean they cell them?

next which is the "prefered" plug to use?

my car has 199899 on it and i have no clue when anything was changed etc. so should i look at changeing the wire set as i do the plugs?

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Spark plugs aren't my forte, but I'm sure someone else can chime in on this.

But I had the spark plugs done at 130,000 miles with NGK Platinum. I'd say they're pretty good plugs. After all, my car has 146,000 miles now and runs like new ;).

·
Registered
84 Posts
The reason for the dual tip spark plugs is with the design of the engine the spark plug actually fires twice due to each coil pack fires two plugs at once, hence there is more wear and tear on them. I believe my Avalon came with Denso plugs from the factory when I replaced them. I made the mistake of replacing them with Bosch plugs; I fealt that they hurt performance. went to replace my valve cover gaskets I swapped in some NGK Laser Iridium plugs. after that the car ran like new!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea rock auto has NGK Platinum's for 1.87 a piece where as autozone wants $4.99 a piece for them so yea i think ill go with rock auto

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Whatever you do, always stay with either NGK or Nippondenso plugs. You'll be sorry if you use anything else. I see this all the time.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,621 Posts
My 99 owner's manual lists a Denso # and an NGK #. I don't fancy myself a better automotive engineer than the ones at Toyota, so I stick with either of those . Actually, if I thought I knew better, I wouldn't buy their cars! Why screw with something so essential to proper performance...I never understand it.

Get 6 plugs and the wire set from [email protected] for under $100 delivered, and the wire set even comes preassembled with all the spacers and cover. A treat to install. And you'll have the right parts.

Reactions: sonic2wb

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
i use single tipped NGK laser platinum. runs like its brand new. and i would say might as well replace your wires too. it is easy and they are only like $20 some from the dealer for OEM ones

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 99 owner's manual lists a Denso # and an NGK #. I don't fancy myself a better automotive engineer than the ones at Toyota, so I stick with either of those . Actually, if I thought I knew better, I wouldn't buy their cars! Why screw with something so essential to proper performance...I never understand it.

Get 6 plugs and the wire set from [email protected] for under $100 delivered, and the wire set even comes preassembled with all the spacers and cover. A treat to install. And you'll have the right parts.
"A treat to install". Really! How do you easily replace plugs and wires?

·
Registered
79 Posts
has anypne ever tried e3 diamond fire plugs? i see them all the time on speed channel... jus wonderin. ill probly go with the ngk i also hear a lot of good things about them also

1 - 9 of 9 Posts