Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Toyota camry
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's alot of claims on fuel economy, emissions, more complete fuel burn and power.
-New design of the plusplug apparently last longer than before. Different capacitor.
-E3 cage and electrode design increases all the above.
-Diamond fire: electrode design ? seems similar or identical to NGKs.

Has anyone used these recently and noticed anything ?
5SFE: 225,000km CAI, 2.5 Exhaust, cat delete, NGK wires, GM alternator.

Travis

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
I remember researching about the E3 for my Camry. From what I read, these are just fancy plug with no benefit on new fuel injection engine. Most of the claims of increase power is after change over from worn spark plugs. NGK and Denso will be best, even Chrysler guys prefer them over Champion plug. Also, stay away from Bosch.

·
'95 Camry 5S-FE
95 Camry LE
778 Posts
Honestly, almost all of the advertising claims about spark plugs is just hype. Advertisers lie/exaggerate to sell products. The best spark plug option to increase power is to replace old plugs and possibly regain lost power.

I've seen ads for Bosch platinum +2 and +4 claiming that it will spark to multiple grounds, implying all at once. That is a crock of sh*t. An electrical arc will jump to the closest ground, and ONLY the closest ground. Just an example of advertising BS.

I too have heard to stay away from Bosch plugs in a Toyota. I don't truly understand why, but I also can't produce evidence to claim otherwise.

That said, I've never tried E3 plugs. I use NGK Iridium IX because they work and have a long life.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I'd just stick with NGK or Denso plugs like Toyota recommended. I've seen some good plugs... even Bosch... fail in Toyota engines prematurely.

E3 plugs were tested and ran on a dyno on horsepower tv. They are good plugs and I have them in my camry.
You have to remember that Horsepower TV is paid by E3 to market their stuff. I'm not saying the results are total B/S... but they CAN skew things to make their product look better than it actually is. ALWAYS take paid advertisements with a grain of salt. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
What did they do on TV? If all they did was dyno the car with really old plugs and wires compared to new plugs, wires, and distributor, then there will likely be a difference. This is true regardless if the plugs are E3, NGK, or Denso.

·
Registered
2010 Camry LE V6
26 Posts
What did they do on TV? If all they did was dyno the car with really old plugs and wires compared to new plugs, wires, and distributor, then there will likely be a difference. This is true regardless if the plugs are E3, NGK, or Denso.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering the same about these spark plugs. I saw the same episode of horsepower tv, and they tested the spark plugs on an engine dyno. The engine was one that they were using to test other performance intakes and cams to see actual power gains. They changed the spark plugs to the E3 and saw like a 5hp and 3lb-ft gain in power. I want to know if someone has put them in their car and at least got a bump in fuel economy. I mean if someone gets a couple more MPGs and they last as long as factory denso plugs, then it may be worth it. Also the engine was a small block ford or chevy I think.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If ANY spark plug company could generate actual scientific results showing their products do any of the following:

1 increase power
2 increase mpg

they would. These are multi-million/billion dollar companies with huge numbers of engineers/scientists. Having "Joe Mechanic" slap them on a dyno on a paid advertiser's channel is not proof of anything. If it was we'd all be living to 200 on the Nutri-bullet Wonder Juice Diet :wink:

·
Registered
2010 Camry LE V6
26 Posts
If ANY spark plug company could generate actual scientific results showing their products do any of the following:

1 increase power
2 increase mpg

they would. These are multi-million/billion dollar companies with huge numbers of engineers/scientists. Having "Joe Mechanic" slap them on a dyno on a paid advertiser's channel is not proof of anything. If it was we'd all be living to 200 on the Nutri-bullet Wonder Juice Diet :wink:
I totally agree. I just wondered if anyone on here has tried them. I just did a little searching around for some reviews, and most of the people are saying they work as described for engines obd1 and earlier. Obd2 and newer vehicles have negative effects. The plugs decrease gas mileage and need to be replaced after 10-20,000 miles. The reviews said that their engines would misfire badly, and then they would switch back to the previous brand or oem plugs and it would run normally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts