Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma TRD OR+
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 30k service, and I don't know why this seems like a rip to me, but it does.

My dealership said that I couldn't even upgrade to a better plug because they would mess with the computer and timing of the truck. Toyota only recomends the basic OEM spark plugs? Is this guy kidding me? I think my last vehicle went over 100k without changing the plugs, and it ran great.

Anybody have any thoughts on this. I would rather upgrade to a better/longer lasting plug than change them every 30k.

·
Banned
873 Posts
i have a hard time finding a listing for better plugs for the 06 and newer.

i have autolite's in my truck now. but OEM replacement plugs.

prolly 20-30km's they will have to come out!

cheers
Warts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really?!
is that all they last for?
I didnt' even realize that! Like you said, I assumed it was good for 100k or so...
hmmm... I am going to need to change plugs every year....

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma TRD OR+
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really?!
is that all they last for?
I didnt' even realize that! Like you said, I assumed it was good for 100k or so...
hmmm... I am going to need to change plugs every year....
Exactly, and lets face it, that's all a dealership tune-up really is: replacing spark plugs. And what do they cost at autozone $4.00 ea?

I just don't know why you can't upgrade to a better plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haha, true!
I was at the dealer today (roof ditch molding fell off... - warranty work), but generally, I don't have any work done by them.

Hmmm... so there ARE alternatives.
not a bad price for Denso Iridiums either.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
The 4 cylinder has 100K mile plugs. The V6 gets the normal plugs that are recommended to be changed at 30K miles. Some find that at 30K, they really needed to be changed. I changed mine at 48K and they looked almost new. I'm not sure if I'll change them at 30K or go another 50K based on how good they looked before.

If you do a search, you'll find that many have swapped them out for the iridum or platinum plugs without a problem. You just won't see that info in the book at the dealership. Going aftermarket plugs can cause all sorts of problems and you'll find in past posts that's exactly what happens. So either stick with the OEM 30K plugs, or with Toyota's Iridiums or Platinums that others found do work in the V6 (by Toyota's plugs, I don't mean you have to purchase them from the dealership...the link above has them too).

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
It does seem funny that Toyota's top taco engine, one with sophisticated VVT, etc, still calls for old tech plugs. I know your dealer's claims about timing and computers is idiotic. I think I remember a couple years back some claims that the iridiums made their truck run poorly, but I haven't seen anything like that since.

The best explanation I've seen for short-life plugs in the taco 1GR-FE is that Toyota is worried for some reason that they will freeze into the aluminum head if you let them go too long. No data here at all, but it is at least more reasonable than your dealer's claim. Maybe the 1GR-FE has some unusual heat distributions that make it slightly more prone to this. Dunno. If you do go long-life, at least use anti-sieze.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
It takes maybe an hour tops to change your own plugs, for me that's every 1.5 years or so. I usually spend over an hour a week cleaning my truck, so an hour every 1.5 years isn't a big deal.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
just get some iridium plugs and call it a day. after doing a lot of research on here, i found that many ppl have done it (some ppl also against it). but its suppose to be good for 90-100k.

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma TRD OR+
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It takes maybe an hour tops to change your own plugs, for me that's every 1.5 years or so. I usually spend over an hour a week cleaning my truck, so an hour every 1.5 years isn't a big deal.
Totaly, spark plugs and brakes are a piece of cake, and will do this in the future. Just don't want to hurt anything in the process.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just use the OEM plugs, use anitiseize and change them every 30 k miles like they say. The chances of having a plug seize in the head will be much less if you do this vs a long life plug that stays in the engine for 100k miles,
I put a ton of miles on my truck and I'm still going to change them with OEM plugs like they say, when I did them the first time the plugs were pretty worn and the gap was definately bigger than it should have been compared to new.
If you are saying 15k miles is your average per year do you really want to have plugs stay in the engine for nearly 7 years? Think of how many times the engine warms up and cools down in that time that plus 7 years... cant see why they would seize in:ugh3:

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,722 Posts
GC, I made the same mistake. I thought that the plugs were good for 100k, turns out that it is true on the 4 bangers but not the 6s. I had 60K plus on my first set, changed them with OEM Densos, <4$ each at the dealer. Don't be shocked when one bank are NGKs and the other are Densos, that's how Toyota does it. Get new Densos and forget about it.

BTW, the easiest vehicle that I ever changed plugs in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cool, i will pick some of those up tomorrow. I bet it will help cause i know this thing doesnt crank or idle as smooth right away as it used to! Now im excited to get this ish done!

·
Registered
413 Posts
When I replaced my plugs at 30K (around last Christmas) on my 07 V6 Taco DC, they still looked great. Very little wear on them. They looked almost new!!!
But, I'll just be changing them every year and half or so, so it's no big deal.
(Other than getting those drivers side plugs out!!!)

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
I was under the impression of 100k+ plugs were in my truck, at 51k+ I may change them next week or so:headbang::headbang::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
put the iridum denso's in last week call it seat of the pants but the truck seems smoother on acceleration. also changed to my summer tires a new set of mastercraft coursair AT2's replacing the toyo open countrys the toyo's were ok at first but 20k in they started belt shifting and got real nosiy. total milage on them was 45k and the last 10k they sucked bad one tire nomatter what i did with it made the truck pull to whatever side it was on this was with 3500mile rotation an aliment check. when i put my winter steel rims with my winter tires on no noise and pulling..... sorry for off topic :) Doc

1 - 20 of 45 Posts