Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Corolla
47 Posts
I have tried bosch super 4 and that NGK iridium basically didnt see anything different on the performance.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything with the engine idle.. get any smoother.. or gas mileage get any better when you weren't romping the peddle? I'm assuming I will get a bit of restored power from the plugs I hope.. Maybe a smoother idle and what not.. I got some Bosch Plats in there now, but like I've always said.. Bosch sucks and they have no right in an import engine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i got denso iridium.......... feel a bit of difference.....

that may be because I had those regular ones on for about 2 years.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Copper plugs are the way to go.
Platinum and iridium only have a long life, thats all, no gains in power whatsoever. No you wont feel the difference either, thats just the placebo effect, unless your old plugs were so worned out they werent firing anymore.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plugs that run cooler.. or hotter and that can be changed with gap size. Gives a hotter or cooler spark.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw, I put the Iridiums in today.. The engine idles much smoother now.. and when I shut the engine off it is more subtle. As for "power" gains.. eh.. wasn't expecting to gain power from them. I have yet to really beat on the engine yet to see how they perform under load.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
wrong, plugs that run hot or cold have a different style insulator. I would scan my motortuning book, but I lack a scanner.

·
Registered
1988 AE80 Corolla
44 Posts
The insulator theory sounds correct to me, as no matter the gap size, theres still the same amount of electricity in the spark right? Although it may be bigger or smaller.. Therefore, same amount of electricty equals (roughly) the same amount of heat? Im guessing here...Im a 20 yr old no formal training just trying to make sense of this kinda stuff lol.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I was always told that more or less gap can change the heat range of the plug
Naah, you adjust the gap to make different spark characteristics regarding low or high end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts