Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1989 corolla sedan is still on the stock radio and speakers. I been considering replacing the speakers for some time because they are pretty messed up now. I figured I should also replace the head unit for something a little more powerful and convenient (usb and bluetooth and a clock would be welcome additions to my rolla). I am not really looking to install an amp..that would make the whole project get too close to the bluebook of my car.

I was thinking I'd get this head unit:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-DQwOeyIdJEY/p_105KDX340B/JVC-KD-X340BTS.html

And these 4" and 5.25" speakers:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R1525X2/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R1525X2.html?tp=97
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R14X2/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R14X2.html?tp=102

JVC KD-X340BTS head unit. And Rockford Fosgate Prime R1525X2 5.25" speakers for the rear and Rockford Fosgate Prime R14X2 4" speakers for the front dash.

The RMS and peak on the speakers are 2-30w and 60w for the 4" and 2-40w and 80w for the 5.25" and the head unit RMS 22w peak 50x4w.

I know these speakers should fit in my corolla, they are the right size. I was wondering if the speaker and head unit were a good match for each other and my car. I've heard some reports that a car with less power may struggle to power a sound system and the head lights. Like the headlights may dim. I know this isn't a super high power system but my car is not at all powerful (90 horsepower). So would there be any power concerns with this setup on my car? And the speakers are not too powerful for the head unit are they?

Lastly, if you have any suggestions for other speakers or head units to look at in the same price range, I'm open to suggestions. The head unit I can get for ~$55, 60. And the speakers I can get for ~$70, 75 total.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can offer me, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,801 Posts
I put a new pioneer head unit in a few years ago, and put in Rockford Fosgate speakers. The problem is the sensitivity of those speakers is too low. I have to turn the volume almost all the way up to hear over the road noise. And there's more distortion when you push the head unit to its limit.

Those 5.25" speakers have sensitivity of 88dB and the 4" only 85dB.

I would suggest looking for speakers with at least 90dB sensitivity that match the rms power of the head unit, have good reviews and are in your price range.

Reactions: dripandrip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a new pioneer head unit in a few years ago, and put in Rockford Fosgate speakers. The problem is the sensitivity of those speakers is too low. I have to turn the volume almost all the way up to hear over the road noise. And there's more distortion when you push the head unit to its limit.

Those 5.25" speakers have sensitivity of 88dB and the 4" only 85dB.

I would suggest looking for speakers with at least 90dB sensitivity that match the rms power of the head unit, have good reviews and are in your price range.
Thank you. So would you suggest I get a speaker that has an rms range within the headunit rms? Or a peak rms of the speaker thats similar to the headunit rms

IE the headunits about 20rms. Should I get a speaker with 20, 25 rms or get a speaker with 2-35 or 50 so rms

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
4,801 Posts
I'm no expert, but they say the speaker rms power should be 75-150% of the amps rms power, so that means the speakers should be in the 15-30 watt range. I'm not sure how to figure it when it says 2-35.

3dB difference in sensitivity requires twice the power to get the same volume. 6dB requires 4 times the power. Those speakers with 85dB sensitivity would require 4 times the power to get the same volume as a 91dB speaker. That might be fine if you had a powerful amp, and perhaps that speaker would sound better with a strong amp to drive it.

Reactions: dripandrip
1 - 4 of 4 Posts