Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super-ah
88 Supra Turbo
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so...the speakers in my car are shot. there's 4" in each corner.
so my plan was...get a headunit get two 4"s to replace the front speakers(just came in the mail today Pioneer TS-G1040R with Dual XDM6820 Headunit...and then somehow fit 4x10s where the other 4s are in the rear with some modifications. well i don't think thats happening. if i were to buy two more 4" speakers. like those kappa's everyone are talking about for instance...slap em up in the rear...and then wire up a 10" subwoofer in a box in the rear, would that be good? i'm not sure if these 4"s are gonna cut it for the mids. will they? what other alternatives do i have to the replacement of the rear speakers?
you see originally, those 4x10 woulda sealed the deal for me because i heard my friend's 4x10s in his monte carlo and they kicked well so i was just gonna do that..
what do you people think i should do? and what have you done?

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
4"s are tiny.
tiny.
tiny.

My suggestion would be to find a later model mk3 in a junkyard any pull it's speaker holders out of the door. They're 6.5". As for the rear speakers, with a decent amount of work you can fit 6x9's in there. It takes hella work, but it can be done.

There's one problem though, they can't be deep. Depth is the real limiting factor in both speaker mounts, not just physical size.

The 10" is fine, a good sub a good amp and a good box and that'll be perfect for a 2dr liftback like the supra.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
The 4 inchers won't cut it. As Jeeves said, step to the newer speaker up front, go to at least a 4x6 rear (they fit fairly easily) and a sub. I went with JL 4" and while clear and bright, they lack the thump even in the speaker cabinets...I sealed them too to improve response and still get some more depth and was happy, but no really impressed. Now, I only use an 8" sub, so I get higher range bass from it approaching mids, and so I don't have as large a gap as you would experience from a 10" (you will lose the 100-300Hz range almost completely with a 4 inch+sub arrangement). I'm probably going to try the 4x6 and see what happens...after the car runs again.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
I personally had a pair of 10"s in a bandpass box. It was overkill. A good 8" or 10" would work just as well.

·
Got Fatass?
283 Posts
Personally i have my 3" turbo bac exhaust and my HKS ssqv...mmmm i luv that song...i have it on repeat all day
:-D

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Mids and highs will always be lacking in the Mk3's. Staging is incredibly poor and the speaker sizes are even poorer.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
I've actually heard a couple that were great setups for being in the Supra...but involved kicks, 6 inchers in reworked baffles in the doors, tweets strategically placed in the doors, and I think there were some 6x9's put into custom boxes on the floors in front of the drivers seat, rears I can't remember how that was done, but some 12 inchers filled out hte bottom end in the hatch.

Myself, I put some equipment in to make it a little better, but I'm not a big car audio buff...tends to be prohibitively expensive unless you are good at setting these things up, is very heavy, and tends to take away from the interior looks IMO. In a car, I'm more a fan of a well setup front stage...more like my stereo arrangement at home, but still lacks the range and clarity in a car environment...

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
I'm into it, I just don't have money to dump into it to do it. For me, a good stereo will hold me just fine with some tweaks. I've long since decided I'd rather it go fast than sound like a 8.1 System ;-)

·
Got Fatass?
283 Posts
Bgrieger, have you ever heard of Visonik slimlines? they have really thin speakers that we've put into a few cars, personally i'm not very big on audio, so it all sounds the same 2 me... in my car i have a cubby hole for a radio :)...but will something like those speakers work?

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
If by slimline they mean low mounting depth, then yes, in appropriate sizes they should work. I cant guarantee that trying to stuff a 6x9 in the doors would, but I would think they should be alright.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts