Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to car maintenance. Today I tried to figure out why a speaker wasn't working in my 92' Camry. I took the doors apart and ultimately found that the wiring between my front door speaker and the cd player is bad.

I want to fix this myself. Any suggestions as to finding out either where the problem is in the line OR an explanation of running new wire.

I have a Chilton manual i've been using but it doesn't have anything good on this subject. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks.

~ G-dawg

·
TN User
95 camry
44 Posts
is it in the left door or the right door? if your sure that its not a bad connection behind the head unit then its probably between the door. on either( both) left and right kickpanels there is a little box with a bunch of wiresyou will notice that two of them run towards the door. your gonna have to cut away the tape around them and follow them through the boot of the door if they are bad you can just replace them by connecting new wires at the point of the break. but first take your headunit out and insure that all the connections are good. once you know the colors of the wires to the speaker behind the door its alot easier to find where they are connected on the headunit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woah. Even that explanation is a little over my head.

It's the left door (drivers door). What is the "head unit"?? What is a "kickpanel"? Also does anyone know what gauge wire that would be for the door? I think i'm gona attempt this myself, I don't wana pay stupid toyota dealer a premium dollar for that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
iamquand said:
Woah. Even that explanation is a little over my head.

It's the left door (drivers door). What is the "head unit"?? What is a "kickpanel"? Also does anyone know what gauge wire that would be for the door? I think i'm gona attempt this myself, I don't wana pay stupid toyota dealer a premium dollar for that.
Definitions:
1. head unit - one that controls the audio of the system I.E. CD Payer

2. Kickpanel- the lower portion of the door where the speaker resides.

and regular speaker wire can handle it... like the clear stuff... not sure what gauge it is (12?). just make sure its stranded wire.:thumbup:

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
onephatcracka said:
Definitions:
2. Kickpanel- the lower portion of the door where the speaker resides.
Or in mechanics language... any panel you kick because the thing you are working on is not going your way...

Sorry to be off topic :disappoin ... i just couldnt resist :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Learning exponentially, thanks everyone.

Next question: To get to the wiring from the head unit to the door, do I need to take apart the dash completely? Or can i just go underneath. I guess the only real way of finding out is just doing it. The tricky part that I see is that in between the main body and the door there is black tubing that houses the wires. I can get to it from the door but where does it goto inside the car? How the hell do I get to it? That part wouldn't be considered the dash board because it is too low.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
If you dont know what a hu is, I'd suggest paying someone to fix this problem, as you might create new ones down the road. If you decide to fix it, disconnect the speaker from the driver side and try it on the passenger side if it doesnt work, then its your speaker and not your harness.

·
Registered
175 Posts
1. disconnect the speaker wiring that is causeing problems at both ends.

2. buy a new piece of wire and run it from the speaker through the door (should be a rubber or plastic tube).

3. temporarily run it under the dash.. keeping away from pedals by wiring tieing it to the other wires... and then run it the rest of the way to the head unit.

just as long as it is out of the way and won't creat furture problems you will be fine.

·
nub
313 Posts
yes, first make sure it is your wiring and not your speaker...switch it w/ the passenger to check.

if it is infact your wiring, check the connection behind the speaker and all the wiring in the door(accessible stuff). if you can see the problem easily and can just splice a new wire in, i think that'd be the best bet for you.

but if not, you'll have to pull the head unit out and run a new wire. for that you should be able to just locate the the problem wire. disconnect said wire and tie the new and old together and wrap it well w/ electrical tape so that it wont come apart 1/2 way through the car. pull it through and connect the new stuff. test the speaker before you put everything back together

1 - 12 of 12 Posts