Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you put bigger breaks on your car, does it really help it to stop faster? Eventually wouldnt the tires just lock up? The only advantage I could see is that if you were trying to stop from a much higher speed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
mm to a degree. Like if I put a bigger engine in my car the first thing I'd do is get bigger brakes. Because the stock brakes aren't made for the abuse I'd put on them with a non stock engine, I think some rotors on all 4 tires would be in order :D . That and the size of them would be based on the power of the engine I'm guessing. But yeah they're made to stop quicker, and they might just lock up the tires but I think they'd handle the stopping better than the stock brakes or my poor little drum brakes :lol:

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Big brake kits and such don't always stop the car better, depending on what kind car you have... obvoiusly if you have some rear drums and crap.... a full brake kit will help. Big brake kits are normally for show or to disappate heat... which is not needed at all for normal... or even occasional track driving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
meh true they more for heat issues and all. Just saying if my cars Fwd it might be better ot have bigger rotors on the front since that is where most of the power comes from. And yeah drum brakes are annoying and a hassle to maintain

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
In general, big brake kits will only give you the sense that your car stops quicker, because with the same amount of pedal-pressure, the big brake kit will give more stopping force. However, your stock brakes were designed to work together (front & rear), and changing only half of the system will fcuk things up pretty much and possibly make your car's braking distances worse. I could get into it more, but don't really feel like it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
so that would be like me putting 14 inch big brakes on the front and leaving the back end drums? got it :)

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Random fishtails ??? Or fishheads?... dunno much about these FWD things... haha.

·
Registered
54 Posts
nah my fish tails are never random they are planned out by my usual rage and foot placement :D. But my rear axle is a "dead" one so I can't really put a Lsd there so my next thought was the front one.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
unless you want to track all the time, or got really big rims so need to fill up the space....it'll just slow you down.....

and in the end, don't forget....if you have good brakes that can stop, but crap tires....you'll still die....:lol: :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts