Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Previa's battery died after 7 years of faithful service. I had AAA come out in the rain to replace it, and the guy told me that I needed to get the electrical clamps replaced. At least I think that was what he said- he had a real strong accent.

Has anybody here needed to do that? Why would the battery posts be different from battery to battery?:confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Previa's battery died after 7 years of faithful service. I had AAA come out in the rain to replace it, and the guy told me that I needed to get the electrical clamps replaced. At least I think that was what he said- he had a real strong accent.

Has anybody here needed to do that? Why would the battery posts be different from battery to battery?:confused:
The battery connectors on the Previa are proprietary and are expensive. Usually the whole front harness has to be replaced. The connectors themselves are prone to corrosion. They should be cleaned every 6 months minimum and possibly more often depending on how much exhaust the battery produces. To clean the connectors they should be removed and dissasembled and submerged in pure white vinegar for at least 20 minutes. Sometimes a plastic bag slipped over the harness and rubber banded can create a liquid tight devise to submerge the harness in vinegar as well if the corrosion is extreme. Corrosion is like cancer...if you don't get it all it comes back worse in short order. This job may take a bit of imagination but is good preventive maintenence to prevent buying the hard to find and very expensive harness. After using the vinegar a baking soda solution neutalizes the vinegar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts