Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be undertaking the task to change my timing belt and water pump on my '98 Toyota Camry very soon. Can somebody familiar with the procedure please advise me what SSTs (including their part numbers) are required to do the job? Where would you buy the tools? From the dealer or is their an online source?

I want to make certain I have all components / tools before I start the job.

Thanks for all the great information and help.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
DCB,

Which engine does your car have?

·
Registered
271 Posts
All I needed was a harmonic balancer puller, from NAPA, and the correct metric socket for the Harmonic Balancer bolt (17mm??). No SSTs needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine size.

I have the 4 cylinder engine. Thanks for any replies.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
I needed a harmonic balancer puller to get the crank pulley off of its shaft.

Also, I was able to get the crank pulley bolt off just by using an impact wrench while I held the pulley with a strap wrench. However, when slappin' 'er back together, I needed to make a crank pulley holder from a length of 2X4 so I could hold the pulley while I torqued the pulley bolt to spec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Special tools, timing belt replacement.

So I can get by with a 'screw-in type' pulley puller for the harmonic balancer and a 17mm? socket for the crank pulley? Rather than riggin' up some tool for holding the pulley, I think I'd rather have the SST for holding the crank pulley in place. Anyone know that part number and an online source for the SST? Again I have the 4cyl engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts