Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I want to buy a new car stereo for my Camry which has a Premium Sound system. However, I want to make sure I am getting a better system than I currently have. More specifically, I would like to know the RMS wattage (Amp power). Anyone know the specs? Thanks in advance.

Also, I have already tried to google it and cannot find anything, so the help would be appreciated.

One last thing. I currently have 8 speakers in my Camry. Most car stereo's come with wires to only hook up 4 speakers. So how would I go about hooking up all 8 speakers?

To be more specific, I would like to buy this one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020D385USB/Clarion-DXZ385USB.html?tp=5684

Will it be better, worse, or same compared to the Premium sound system I have now in terms of sound?

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
if you want to upgrade your sound system one of the most important things is your head unit. the clarion is a okay i guess unit but if you want better sound that probably wont do it. id do some more looking for a head unit. people think whatever its only a cd player most of the time but its really not. the better quality stereo the better output from it =P

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you want to upgrade your sound system one of the most important things is your head unit. the clarion is a okay i guess unit but if you want better sound that probably wont do it. id do some more looking for a head unit. people think whatever its only a cd player most of the time but its really not. the better quality stereo the better output from it =P
I've been looking around and it seems that most of the other units have 20 Watt RMS Output and 50 Watt Peak Output, like the Clarion. So shouldn't it perform same/better than my factory one? Or does the factory one have better outputs? That's why I'm trying to find the specs, so then I can compare.

Anyone know what the RMS and Peak Output of the premium factory head units?

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
you have to also think about the speakers and not just the headunit. if you want better sound get better speakers first. im not sure about the spec rms but im sure there isnt too much of a difference, if you want real power you always need an amp an amp with good speakers and a good head unit will amaze your ears

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you have to also think about the speakers and not just the headunit. if you want better sound get better speakers first. im not sure about the spec rms but im sure there isnt too much of a difference, if you want real power you always need an amp an amp with good speakers and a good head unit will amaze your ears
I like my current speakers. I don't really think I need to replace them right now. I just want to make sure the head unit I am getting is better than the current one.

So is this Clarion better than the current Head Unit I have right now?

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
im not a big fan of clarion, they are low end stereos. is there any real reason you want to change it? if you do get a new one id honestly stick with a nice kenwood or an alpine. but thats just me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not a big fan of clarion, they are low end stereos. is there any real reason you want to change it? if you do get a new one id honestly stick with a nice kenwood or an alpine. but thats just me.
Yup, there are a couple reasons.

I am tired of making CD's. I want to able to play MP3's.

Also, this one has USB and AUX which is very helpful.

So what do you think? I was originally planning to get a Dual brand stereo but heard that they were junk and Clarion's are nice.

Are there any specific ones you can recommend to me?

·
My leather so soft
566 Posts
IMO, I would stick when a nice Kenwood, Alpine, or Pioneer headunit. Great quality and do about everything you want. I used to own a Clarion VRX485VD, and it was nothing compared to my Pioneer DEH-P3100.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently upgraded my 01 Solara's headunit to a Pioneer DEH-2100IB. I noticed the sound quality was much better. Even FM stations come in a lot better on the new unit. Install in solara (and camry for that matter) was very easy, you'll end up bypassing the JBL factory amp (http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=15629&highlight=metra). I would highly recommend getting a new unit for better sound quality/capability. Although of course you lose some of that "stock" look. But whatever. Oh, and btw, dont worry about the speaker count. Some speakers share the same wires. You'll get a toyota wiring harness that you'll solder/crimp into the wiring harness your new radio has.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's not really any point if that's all you're going to upgrade to

Chances are, I'd say most current head units will probably put out more watts than whatever is in there, now

I picked this up on closeout recently

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX592/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X592.html?search=KDCX592&tp=5684

And it's a definite improvement over what I had
Well there is a point for me, and the USB function is definitely going to save my time.

Anyways, how much did you pay for that one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked it up for about ~130. I think it was ~180 before closeout

If you see it somewhere for a decent price, I'd highly recommend it over that Clarion you linked. I thought about getting that one, too, but the Kenwood is way way way better.

USB input ftw

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
you have to always remember you get what you pay for. the more you pay the better stereo youre getting in return.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you have to always remember you get what you pay for. the more you pay the better stereo youre getting in return.
A friend of mine has the Clarion that I linked, and it's not too bad at all. But I think you guys are right, I am going to pay a little more and get something better.

I need suggestions on what to get though lol

·
OREGONian
92' 4 door Camry
315 Posts
Head Units recommended: Pionneer. Alpine, Kenwood
skip: sony, jensen ect.

Speakers coax: Pioneer, Alpine

Component: mmats, image dynamics, dd audio, zapco,pionneer and a good amp to power them

·
OREGONian
92' 4 door Camry
315 Posts
Yup, that's where I'm probably gonna get it from.

The sound should be better than the current factory one I have now, right?
Of course, if you want it to sound grand i recommend hooking a reasonable ratted amp to your aftermarket coax or component speakers, I've gone through lots of audio system setups, Loudest on the TL i did was 146.7 db with a atomic 5000.1 amp and a single 15" DD cf cone subwoofer in the camry:naughty:.

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
i wouldnt recommend buying car audio stuff on ebay i have befor and got bad things 3 times. :(

·
OREGONian
92' 4 door Camry
315 Posts
Since it's discontinued best place is prolly there, just check the feedbacks of the seller, good things come with good feedback.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts