Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fitted speed bleeders to my wife' s 2008 Camry and was able to change the brake fluid easily... She won't help with maintaining her car in any way. She says women are equal to men but then calls pressing the brakes 'a man's job'...and all in the same sentence...I thought I would buy some for my 2017 SE, so that when they day comes to purge air in the lines or change the fluid, I would be all set. Guess what I can't find any...Not on Dorman, not on Russell, not on amazon or ebay , anywhere.... What's happening ? Have Toyota made them OEM and the aftermarket is wiped out for recent years ? I can't understand why they were not OEM in the first place...

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
I fitted speed bleeders to my wife' s 2008 Camry and was able to change the brake fluid easily... She won't help with maintaining her car in any way. She says women are equal to men but then calls pressing the brakes 'a man's job'...and all in the same sentence...I thought I would buy some for my 2017 SE, so that when they day comes to purge air in the lines or change the fluid, I would be all set. Guess what I can't find any...Not on Dorman, not on Russell, not on amazon or ebay , anywhere.... What's happening ? Have Toyota made them OEM and the aftermarket is wiped out for recent years ? I can't understand why they were not OEM in the first place...
KISS

K
eep
It
Simple
Stupid

They probably don't include it because it cost an extra couple of cents in addition to the possibility of malfunctions and some people's lack of knowledge of working on hydraulics and leaving the speed bleeder untightened. I also assume that because Toyota is a international company that speed bleeders may not be good for all climates compared to just a plain bleeder.

I would use speed bleeders but I am too paranoid about sucking air back in I rather just use the two-person method so at least someone (or myself) can watch the brake fluid.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KISS

K
eep
It
Simple
Stupid

They probably don't include it because it cost an extra couple of cents in addition to the possibility of malfunctions and some people's lack of knowledge of working on hydraulics and leaving the speed bleeder untightened. I also assume that because Toyota is a international company that speed bleeders may not be good for all climates compared to just a plain bleeder.

I would use speed bleeders but I am too paranoid about sucking air back in I rather just use the two-person method so at least someone (or myself) can watch the brake fluid.
The internals of speed bleeders are all high quality stainless and better than OEM, though both of which are made for every climate from Saudi to Alaska. It is just the same process to leave a speed bleeder untightened as it is to leave an OEM untightened... In the light of all that, the stupid one isn't me, and many people who don't have an assistant available, find speed bleeders very convenient......

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
The internals of speed bleeders are all high quality stainless and better than OEM, though both of which are made for every climate from Saudi to Alaska. It is just the same process to leave a speed bleeder untightened as it is to leave an OEM untightened... In the light of all that, the stupid one isn't me, and many people who don't have an assistant available, find speed bleeders very convenient......
They are more than likely plenty of good speed bleeders out there, whether or not Toyota or other companies want to spend the extra dollars in adding the speed bleeder is the main question. Maybe its cost-savings, maybe it's a minor safety hazard, maybe there are certain pressures and temperature thresholds they know which is why they don't use it, who knows...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Assuming that these are one-way valves on the caliper nipples, keep in mind that once the nipple is loosened, the threads become an entry path for air when the brake pedal is released.

If you can apply a constant suction at the nipple, then even though the air can and will flow past the threads, the fluid flows in one direction out of the caliper so no air can enter the pressurized portion of the inside of the caliper.

I fashioned a vacuum evacuator using a reversed fish tank air pump as a teenager in the 70's, and still use it to quickly pull all of the old fluid out of my brake systems as I hover under the hood adding brake fluid to the reservoir. Amazingly I haven't yet broken the old pickle jar!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming that these are one-way valves on the caliper nipples, keep in mind that once the nipple is loosened, the threads become an entry path for air when the brake pedal is released.

If you can apply a constant suction at the nipple, then even though the air can and will flow past the threads, the fluid flows in one direction out of the caliper so no air can enter the pressurized portion of the inside of the caliper.

I fashioned a vacuum evacuator using a reversed fish tank air pump as a teenager in the 70's, and still use it to quickly pull all of the old fluid out of my brake systems as I hover under the hood adding brake fluid to the reservoir. Amazingly I haven't yet broken the old pickle jar!
That's quite a contraption.... I like stuff like that. However, speed bleeers have a thick soft coating on the bottom threads that fill the thread grooves and stop air entering... It remains a mystery as to why speed bleeders are available for older Camrys, certainly the 2008, but I can't find any for the 2017...

·
Registered
354 Posts
My wife can't help either, not able to follow simple directions :)
I have resorted to gravity bleeding. But I first use the suction device from Harbor freight to make it faster. The gravity bleed the last part.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife can't help either, not able to follow simple directions :)
I have resorted to gravity bleeding. But I first use the suction device from Harbor freight to make it faster. The gravity bleed the last part.
Thanks I will check that out... I think the refusal to help with tuning her own brakes is a power play.... Loves blocking me. She won't even steady the ladder when I am 30 feet up fixing the gutters... I remind her that some Oriental ladies comb a man's hair and file his nails and fluff their pillows up......but to no avail...

·
イリジウム
11,767 Posts
Give Dorman a call, maybe they just haven’t updated the catalogs.

Have you tried searching by thread size, pitch and bleeder length? I had to find speed bleeders that way one time.
Also try your local NAPA.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Give Dorman a call, maybe they just haven’t updated the catalogs.

Have you tried searching by thread size, pitch and bleeder length? I had to find speed bleeders that way one time.
Also try your local NAPA.
Thought I had tried em all...When I got the speed bleeders for wife's 2008 Camry it was it was easy and everyone had them... Yes I will contact Dorman and see what they say... and report back...

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
644 Posts
All mainstream toyotas use M7x1 thread except for Supra. Russell 639570 should fit your 2017.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All mainstream toyotas use M7x1 thread except for Supra. Russell 639570 should fit your 2017.

Good info thanks.... The front and back were different on wife's 2008..... Could be the length...So will they be different on the 2017 ?

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
644 Posts
These Russells seem to have longer then normal threaded section so maybe that's their remedy for length issues.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These Russells seem to have longer then normal threaded section so maybe that's their remedy for length issues.

ok thanks...I will try those off my wife's 2008 and see how the fit feels in both the front and rear calipers...

·
Registered
2016 Camry XLE
39 Posts
I still cannot convince myself that brake fluid replacement is necessary... Pls. forgive a skeptical old man. I rest my old beliefs on two personal vehicles: one was my '62 Corvette that was approx 32 years old before I replaced the fluid when doing a complete brake job incl. 4 new wheel cylinders....yes, it had mileage on it; probably around 75,000 miles. A more recent example is my 2009 Subaru Forester that only has 35,000 miles BUT, do the math, is 10+ years old. No leaks, no problems. Confession: This past week, I did have a professional mechanic (because I'm well into my '70's and lazy) put new rotors and pads AND flush the brake fluid (but I still think it's just a money maker that the industry is selling everyone on.... succesfully). Yes, I know the fluid is hydroscopic (no one musta told my Corvette fluid that :))
IMHO of course.......

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still cannot convince myself that brake fluid replacement is necessary... Pls. forgive a skeptical old man. I rest my old beliefs on two personal vehicles: one was my '62 Corvette that was approx 32 years old before I replaced the fluid when doing a complete brake job incl. 4 new wheel cylinders....yes, it had mileage on it; probably around 75,000 miles. A more recent example is my 2009 Subaru Forester that only has 35,000 miles BUT, do the math, is 10+ years old. No leaks, no problems. Confession: This past week, I did have a professional mechanic (because I'm well into my '70's and lazy) put new rotors and pads AND flush the brake fluid (but I still think it's just a money maker that the industry is selling everyone on.... succesfully). Yes, I know the fluid is hydroscopic (no one musta told my Corvette fluid that :))
IMHO of course.......
Mid 70s is no excuse ! I am 72 in a couple of weeks and I am busting to heave the deck off my lawn tractor and lift the huge snowblower attachment on...Also I will get the wheels off my wife's car and get her snow tires on.. This week I will be up the ladder sweeping my chimney and cleaning the gutters ready for winter... In the past I have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, malignant prostate cancer and this year, atrial flutter with a 150 pulse...so I am no super man or lucky son of a gun.... Seriously, you should 'use it or lose it' and resist the onset of old age... In particular, no forearms on the supermarket trolley !

·
Registered
2016 Camry XLE
39 Posts
allserene.... God Bless You.... keep going my brovva. Actually, I'm 75, and healthy as a horse, thank God, I haven't had any illnesses to speak of. Just a lazy, and happy old man :))))
J

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
allserene.... God Bless You.... keep going my brovva. Actually, I'm 75, and healthy as a horse, thank God, I haven't had any illnesses to speak of. Just a lazy, and happy old man :))))
J
LOL ! Laziness is an affliction which is the gateway drug to decrepitude. I know; I am naturally lazy and I retired at age 55 so I could ride my motorbike and hunt dandelions in the lawn... There is much to accomplish in life...like teaming up all those odds socks and arguing with doorstep evangelists. Seriously, mucking about with cars etc yields much satisfaction at an age where not much else does...

·
Registered
'12 Camry SE
58 Posts
Simple press the brakes 3xs and hold on the 3rd. And get out trusty 8mm line wrench. Open and close method at every 3rd time. Keep doing it until there's firm feeling and go to the next caliper. Start at RF then move to each of this position in order RR, LR, LF.

Did this in Wisconsin because of its safe to do with corrosion.

Hell, I'm still on my factory brake fluid at 267k. Still clear and even tested it at 225k for my brakes class... Still was factory new. Brakes still perform well. Remember its sealed system so if you have moisture build up; you have major problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts