2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,555 Posts
Don't know (but probably), and yes.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,850 Posts
Abram86 said:
Is there a way to take it off on a 87 camry?

Is the speedo cable driven?
So... uhhh... how often do you exceed 115mph? Unless you have an upgraded suspension, tires and brakes, that's probably way to fast for your car.

You can use any electronic speed cut eliminator out there (Apexi Rev/Speed Meter, etc) to get rid of the govenor.

-Charlie

·
I hate rust!
91 pickup, 93 pickup
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah really, it feels like the car has alot more than 115 in it.

It feels like nothing when your going that fast new suspension.

·
Infrequent Tourist
1989 Toyota Camry
20 Posts
Eliminate the speed governor

All you do is cut the pink wire

Now if I could just remember where I left that pink wire.

OK, the Camry could go faster than 115 mph. Besides the question of why you want to drive a Camry that fast . . .

How much time do you spend each week driving with the governor limiting your speed?

If the governor was set at 118 mph, would that work OK?

-OR-

Would you need 119 mph?

My guess: the governor is a minor inconvenience because it reduces bragging rights for da' ride. Shizzle muh nizzle, for shor! Don't make me shank ya"!

Bragging about how fast your Camry goes . . . uh yeah, not too pathetic :eek:

No Wait!
The fastest I have ever gone is close to 700 MPH. I was a passenger on a 747. Honestly, it really didn't feel that fast at the time.

IMO, a Gen 2 Camry feels 10 MPH faster than it is actually going. At 100 mph, it feels like you are going soooo much faster.

"Everybody to the left side of the car, must try to control the lean in this next turn!!!!"

Therefore, you are right. The Camry does feel like it can go much faster than 115 mph. It feels like it is breaking up on supersonic re-entry when that governor kicks in!

:lol:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Abram86 said:

meh, let the kid run to 120 and meet up with a state trooper. its fun getting raped with a flashlight and loosing your license for 5 years.

or there's the wrecking it at 120mph and dieing, that will brighten your day.

·
NYR
509 Posts
Stupid to drive these cars anywhere near 115mph!
I just came back from a trip to VA and anything past 90mph did not feel all that comfortable.....and yes, I have pretty new struts and good tires and all that.
I remember doing 150mph in my old Firebird Formula a couple of times, and now I look back and think how fucking stupid I was when I turned 20 years old (Im 32 now and considerably wiser)
My advice to you is, stick to something in the near stratosphere of the posted speed limit. Driving for a living, I see alot of bad shit out there.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,850 Posts
Nice89 said:
All you do is cut the pink wire

Now if I could just remember where I left that pink wire.
:lol:
You'll get a check engine light after a few trips if you just cut the speed sensor wire to the ECU... At least, I think you will?

-Charlie

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,555 Posts
Abram86 said:

And exactly what does your "new suspension" consist of? Detailed list, please!

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,176 Posts
It would be quite scary to take a 20 year old Camry pass 100mph unless it's upkeep well.

There isn't really a big reason to disable it unless you run up those speeds on a track.

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,555 Posts
Kingdom934 said:
It would be quite scary to take a 20 year old Camry pass 100mph unless it's upkeep well.

There isn't really a big reason to disable it unless you run up those speeds on a track.
+1 on that... my car is in great condition and I wouldn't take it past (or even up to) the speed limiter. It's just not that kind of car, period. There are much more suitable cars for driving that fast. Can't justify it even for the 1/4 mile track, because other than possibly white90dx, the average Gen 2 couldn't touch anywhere near 100 in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Camry is not a sports car, and its suspension is not a sort of 82 Mazda RX-7. Driving it at high speed will result in lost of control. This is why I see many Camrys badly wrecked on the junkyard.

·
I hate rust!
91 pickup, 93 pickup
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a long ride to work, I dont want braging rights... yeah if I wanted to brag I wouldnt be driving a 87 camry :rolleyes:

Im not trying to max it out or go for world record, it would just be nice to take it up a little higher once in a while.

so the vss is a pink wire to the ecu?

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
100k miles ago, I found my camry comfortable to 90 mph. The only Toyota I would take higher was my 1984 Supra, with was very comfortable into the hundred-plus range, and when it was still a "new" car.

A 1987 Camry in that range? Not without quite a few upgrades.

·
Insanity makes more sense
1990 camry
210 Posts
driving over 90 in any area of VA and getting caught by the police will insure you will spend a few nights in jail. I suggest when on public roads, even interstates you keep that in mind. Not only are you endangering yourself on the road when you go this fast, but others as well. Who cares how long you have to drive to work, wake up earlier... get on the road earlier. If you insist on driving the crap out of a 2nd gen camry, do it somewhere safe like I do. I autocross. It is safe, and legal to do. It is a lot of fun as well.

·
I hate rust!
91 pickup, 93 pickup
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
mine basically is new it was in an old ladies garage most of its life

im not reckless and drive over 100+ on a daily baisis

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,555 Posts
Abram86 said:
mine basically is new it was in an old ladies garage most of its life

So, you're telling us that you put a NEW SUSPENSION on a perfectly good car?? :whatthe:

Abram86 said:
I couldn't tell by this sentence, but it looks like you're telling us that it has a new suspension.

Even if you're not reckless, a Gen 2 Camry is a real turd when it comes to handling. I'd hate to try any sort of high-speed manuver in my car, and it only had 42k miles on it when I got it last year. It's a real comfortable daily-driver, but not a sure-footed beast by any means.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
new oem suspension isnt any better for high speed stuff than an old oem suspension. but whats the point in arguing about this - car isnt going to do much more than 115 anyways, never mind the fact that you shouldnt be going that fast on public roads to begin with.

·
NYR
509 Posts
WVcamry3sfe said:
driving over 90 in any area of VA and getting caught by the police will insure you will spend a few nights in jail. I suggest when on public roads, even interstates you keep that in mind. Not only are you endangering yourself on the road when you go this fast, but others as well. Who cares how long you have to drive to work, wake up earlier... get on the road earlier. If you insist on driving the crap out of a 2nd gen camry, do it somewhere safe like I do. I autocross. It is safe, and legal to do. It is a lot of fun as well.
VA I noticed is very much into speeding tickets. I was in Chesapeake Bay last week and every other block was a cop writing a speeding ticket to some poor sap. When I was heading home back to NY, I didnt open her up a little until I was just about leaving Delaware and entering New Jersey. The NJ Turnpike is a speedway all the way up to exit 8, everybody is going atleast 80 mph:eek:

Abram86 said:
Dont you get it???.......
Driving over 100+ on public roads is reckless!!!

·
Sebastian Loebs evil twin
168 Posts
ahh gotta love ohio and its 2 point fine for a first offence <that year> for goin 90+.
and seriously trying to talk people out of driving recklessly on the internet is dumb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts