Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm wondering if it's true that new automobiles today have speed limiter or sometimes they called it governor? Is it illegal to remove or disable it? Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Generally, yes... that's been the case for many years.
My '03 Tundra was limited to 105... I hit it (by accident) in Nevada, and honestly, I would not want to have gone any faster... the front end was really light.

It's not illegal to disable it, but it could open you up to civil and possibly criminal liability if you are involved in an accident where excessive speed is a factor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally, yes... that's been the case for many years.
My '03 Tundra was limited to 105... I hit it (by accident) in Nevada, and honestly, I would not want to have gone any faster... the front end was really light.

It's not illegal to disable it, but it could open you up to civil and possibly criminal liability if you are involved in an accident where excessive speed is a factor.
I see. I'm in Canada. I don't know yet what exactly is the Regulations regarding that matter. All I can see is the Regulations regarding limiter on commercial trucks. Hopefully there is anyone knew it well regarding the governor/limiter on private cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts